Chapter 8

"Getting in Trouble"

         I messed up. I knew I did. Well it was partly Austin’s fault but I should have known better. I stood up and walked to the front when I heard my name.

            “One call,” he said nodding at the phone.

            “Thanks,” I said sarcastically.

            “Get to it,” he said in an angry tone. I knew I couldn’t call my mom or Dennis. Austin was here and Maggie and Jamie didn’t have enough money. Finally I swallowed my pride and dialed his number.

            “Hello,” he answered in a sleepy voice.

            “I need your help,” I said as I squared my shoulders.

            “Paige? What do you need,” he asked sounding a little more alert.

            “I’m at the jail. I need you to come bail me out,” I said. My voice broke about half way through.

            “I’m on my way,” he said as he hung up the phone. I collapsed back into my seat and buried my head into my hands. He would never look at me the same way.

            It was a regular Saturday night. I was sitting in my house watching TV. Dennis had passed out a couple of hours ago and mom was working the night shift. I was flipping through the channels when I heard a knock at my door. I slowly got up and walked over to reveal Austin behind my door.

            “Ready to go,” he asked with a smile.

            “Go where,” I asked confused.

            “Out. I refuse to leave you alone with Dennis tonight,” he said as he dimmed a little.

            “Oh. What are we gonna do,” I asked as I slid my shoes on and grabbed my phone along with some cash.

            “Some illegal,” he said with a grin.

            “Always fun,” I said as I shut the door quietly behind us.

            “You want to put chickens in the apartment building,” he asked.

            “Nah. We did that a couple of months ago.”

            “Right,” he said nodding.

            “We could go for another joy ride,” I said.

            “I didn’t really like that the last time,” he told me.

            “We could vandalize the school,” I said.

            “Now you’re talking,” he said with a grin as we got in his car.

            “Actually not our school. Let’s do the prep school across town,” I said.

            “Sure thing,” he said as he stared towards his house. We needed the paint.

            “So why all of a sudden did you want to hang out,” I asked him.