Chapter 11: Weaknesses

The cold winter wind rattled the shoji, and I pulled the shawl tighter around me. Kokoa placed more wood into the fireplace, and it roared to life. I pulled another scroll towards me and began pouring over it. I did my best to keep my mind distracted, the war with the Northern and Western Kingdoms had raged on for six months, and there was no end in sight.

"Empress, are you feeling well?" Kokoa placed a cup of warm tea in front of me.

I took it in my hands. "I'm tired. These cold days and even colder nights are taking their toll."

She draped another blanket over my shoulders. "We could move you to a smaller room. The heat would be felt easier."

I shook my head. "No, this room is fine. I simply dislike that it is this cold. It is warmer further east."

"Is there anything I can do for you at this time, Empress?"

"No, Kokoa. I must finish approving these accounts. I'll need you to take them to the accountants later once I've approved."

"Of course, Empress."

I set the scroll down and looked at my companion. "Kokoa, has there been any word?"

Her eyes saddened. "Not since last we heard. They've successfully pushed King Ryu's forces back, but that is all."

I put my hands in my face. "I need to know if he's safe."

I let the tears spill over. I had done all I could to remain strong, to keep the fear I had bottled away, but I couldn't hold it in anymore. Kokoa rushed to my side and embraced me. She held me as the sobs racked my body.

"He will return to you, Empress. Emperor Farrow will be by your side again. I know it. He is fierce and unbending."

I hugged her. "Thank you, Kokoa. If I did not have you, I do not think I could endure this loneliness."

"I will remain by your side for as long as you'll have me."

I shooed her away. "Yes, I believe you'll be my attendant for some time. Let me finish these things, then I'll have you take them to the accountants. After that, we do need to speak with the governing lords."

I grimaced. I was not looking forward to dealing with them.

********

I did my best to remain calm, but the men below me tested that. I had a mixture of lords from the east and the south present. I had split the group so they could learn and better the country that way. However, it was proving difficult to get them to cooperate.

I held my hand up, but none of them quitted. I took a deep calming breath. "That will be enough!"

The words echoed through the hall, and the men went silent. I gave them a moment to settle. Their bickering was innocent.

"This is not how you settle the matter of a resource shortage."

"Empress Akira, please forgive my rudeness, but a woman in your current state shouldn't be bothered with this." Lord Osamu looked at the man beside him without addressing me directly.

"My current state?" I let the venom sink into my voice.

"Yes, with all your womanly woes building up and bubbling over. We all see that you are struggling with the Emperor being away."

I looked at the men from the east. "Do you feel that way as well?"

Lord Haku bowed almost to the floor. "We do, but not the way they do. The lords of the east wish to assist you in any way we can. However, you cannot carry this burden alone, Empress."

"She is a weak woman. While the Emperor is off fighting a war, she sits here. In the comfort of her status while her people suffer." Osamu's words burned.

"Lord Osamu."

He finally turned to look at me. His face paled. "Yes, Empress."

"I have had enough of your big mouth. I know you resent me since the Emperor did not marry your daughter, but you do not speak to me that way. From this moment forward, you are no longer a lord. You and your family will be stripped of everything. As a commoner, you do not need the comforts you surround yourself with."

"You cannot do this!" Osamu's words were filled with rage.

I pushed myself up. "You see, Osamu, I can. I have given up much to the people to ensure that they survive. You are the only one disobeying me from all the lords' accounts and calculations here. They've all given over what they can, anything that the people of Kikon can use to survive. Things that can be sent to our soldiers that they can use. You are the only one here that is living in comfort."

The lords surrounding Osamu began to whisper. He turned, waving his arms wildly. "Don't you see what she's doing! She's lying to turn you against me."

Haku stood and clutched Osamu's upper arm. "The Empress has spoken. You have been stripped of everything. You are no longer welcome in the palace."

"Lord Haku, I leave you in charge of his affairs. Make sure everything is sorted out appropriately."

He bowed and pulled Osamu down with him. "As you wish, Empress."

Haku pulled a rage-filled Osamu from the palace. His screams echoed off the columns, but his words fell on deaf ears.

I looked back at the men below. "Let me make this clear, yet again. It has been a year since I married Emperor Farrow. Simply because he is off fighting a war does not mean I have any less authority."

The men bowed deeply. "Forgive us, Empress."

"Do not do it again. As for the issues with the food shortages, please write out detailed plans and deliver them to me by daybreak tomorrow."

I left the men in their bow and returned to my chambers. I was tired and no longer wished to be awake.