Chapter 4: Empress Akira

Smoke billowed into the halls from bonfires outside the palace. I covered my face and eyes to keep them from burning. Farrow's hands remained behind his back as he weaved through the halls. I did my best to keep up with him, so I wouldn't become lost.

Farrow stopped, and I nearly bumped into him. I peered around him, and we ran into a group of men. From their finery, I assumed they were the region's lords. They bowed once they realized who was standing before them.

"Is there a reason you have decided to congregate outside of my sleeping quarters?" Farrow's voice was gruffer than when he had spoken to me. I realized that he must have softened his voice to keep from frightening me.

"We knew you would be coming. We had hoped to escort you and your soon-to-be wife to the viewing balcony." But, instead, the man's voice held nervousness.

"We don't need an escort. However, I believe you hoped to catch a glimpse of my wife. You assumed that she was still a maiden; a peek couldn't hurt?" Farrow's words held an unspoken threat.

They all rushed to answer.

"Never."

"We wouldn't dare!"

"Emperor, please believe us."

Farrow stepped forward. "Get out of my sight before I decide to execute retaliation."

The men scurried out of sight before Farrow could change his mind. He let out a deep breath but didn't turn back to me.

"You may encounter more of that behavior going forward. Old men tend to fawn over beautiful girls and women." He started walking again, and I had to run to keep up.

I grabbed his elbow. "Please slow down. Your stride is twice that of mine."

"We have to hurry. The people have been waiting, and I don't want to keep them waiting any longer."

"Well, I'll have to run to keep up with you." I could understand the hurry, but layers in kimonos weren't made for running.

Farrow turned quickly and scooped me up in his arms. He held me easily as he walked through the halls. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders to steady myself. Being carried put me close to his face, and I examined him closer. His hair brushed my fingers, and I ran it between them. It was soft and delicate. His jaw was well defined and gave his face a distinct shape. It was also clean-shaven, and I wanted to run my fingers over his skin.

I looked up, and he quickly looked forward. He had been watching me. I pulled myself up and pressed my lips to his cheekbone.

"Thank you."

"There is no need to thank me. As I said, we're late. Had you not drenched me, we wouldn't be." The redness of his cheeks let me know I had flustered him.

"Mm-hmm. I believe that wholeheartedly, my Lord of Iron."

Farrow stopped in front of an alcove and set me down gently. "Believe all you want. I will open the curtain when I am ready for you."

He strode forward, but I grabbed his hand to stop him. He looked back at me and frowned. I closed the space between us, reached up, grabbed his head, and kissed him.

He put his hands on my hips and pushed me back. "What was that for?"

I smiled. "You look like you needed a boost in confidence."

He shook his head and strode through the curtain. The crowd beyond the balcony cheered at his appearance. I peered through the crack and watched as Farrow addressed his people.

"I know most of you are concerned with my choice in a foreign princess to become my wife." Grumbles from the crowd followed his words.

Farrow raised his hands. "I did what I felt was best for my kingdom. As a result, the Eastern Kingdom is thriving. Thriving unlike ours, and the North and West. Of the two kings and myself, I won in the battle to claim a bride. I know she will help us rebound to our former glory!"

The crowd erupted at their Emperor's words. Making it sound like he fought for my hand seemed more appealing than the truth. I had simply chosen the best option without offers from the others.

"Here is your Empress, Akria!" The curtains pulled back, and the cold sun lit the alcove.

I stepped out, and the crowd once again erupted into cheers. While some seemed genuinely excited, I could see the ill will on many of the faces below me. I swallowed and stepped to Farrow's side. His appearance was stern and stiff. He didn't reach out to me or touch me in any way. This was the face of the Iron Emperor, and he ruled with a matching fist.