Chapter 3: Wet Bird

Steam filled the room, and I inhaled, hoping it would clear away my headache. I sunk lower into the bath and let the hot water soothe my muscles. I had known that they were tense from traveling, but I hadn't realized how much. I looked at the ceiling of the bathhouse and marveled at its complexity. Its entirety was covered in blue and grey mosaic tiles and depicted an ocean scene.

Like the Eastern Kingdom, the Southern was edged by the Sea of Asase. Knowing this made me wonder if they fished or if it was a resource they didn't use. I would need to look into what resources they utilized and didn't.

Farrow had said his country was dying, and he needed my help in saving it. That was a considerable weight I wasn't sure how to deal with. The research to save his kingdom would have to begin immediately, and I would need many lords' help. The problem I was expecting was for them to refuse. I was a woman, after all.

I covered my face and yelled into my hands. I shouldn't have been experiencing frustration before it even began.

Bang!

The slam of the door startled me, and I slipped below the water. I sat up quickly, sputtering and splashing water everywhere.

I turned to the door, and heat rushed to my face. I covered my chest and faced away. "Emperor Farrow!"

I looked over my shoulder, and he was standing at the ready. Daggers in hand and prepared to attack. His face was momentarily panicked, then it turned to embarrassment.

"I thought someone was attacking you. I apologize."

"No, no. I'm perfectly fine. I was letting out the building frustration, that's all." I sunk below the water and turned to face him because I felt silly looking away.

He sheathed the daggers and stood straight. "There have been whispers of threats against your life. My people are not pleased you are here."

"Well, all the more reason for you to burst into a room at the slightest yell." I snorted.

"You think it's funny that I was trying to protect you?" His tone hardened.

I opened my mouth to respond but decided that rhetoric was not the best approach. "Thank you."

He nodded his head. "It is my responsibility as your Emperor and husband to protect you."

I slipped my hand beneath the water and pulled up a small dagger. "I can also protect myself to some degree."

Farrow grabbed a chair from beside the door, brought it to the tub's side, and sat down. As I pressed myself closer to the tub's side, I was continually aware of my nakedness. Farrow took the blade from my hand and examined it closely.

"This would only protect you if you could hit a vital artery. Unfortunately, it's much too small."

I took the blade from his hand, and water dripped from my arm. "Well, I did take the time to learn where those were. I'm aware that people may want to kill me."

"You're a delicate woman. I do not foresee you ever needing to use that knife with me around." He shook the water from his hand.

I clenched my jaw and laid back down in the water. I disliked men who believed I was weak because I was a woman. No, I was not powerless. I sat up and looked at Farrow, and his eyes held only a serious note.

I would show him I wasn't as delicate as he seemed to think I was. Putting my arms together in front of me, I scooped water from the tub and flung it at Farrow. I did my best to jump from the water but ended up slamming Farrow and the chair to the ground. It wasn't as graceful as I had envisioned. Instead of pressing the knife to his throat, I pushed it against his groin. Most would have pressed for the apparent weak spot, but I wasn't most.

Farrow looked taken aback. He hadn't been expecting me to attack him. But, instead, he held his hands above his head, waiting for my next move.

"I do not understand why men always underestimate me! I am the only child of King Iseki. Do you think he wouldn't have had me trained to protect myself? Instead, he taught me how to govern a kingdom and to fight. My father didn't expect me to take a husband to simply have him sweep the kingdom out from under me. Instead, he gave me the tools to stand up to men and then have them question their own intelligence."

Farrow reached up and pushed wet hair from my face. I waited tensely for him to defend himself, move me from his body, but he didn't.

A slight grin appeared. "This isn't exactly what I meant by telling me that you disagree with me. But, then again, I may have continued to belittle your claims of being able to protect yourself if you hadn't."

I moved away from his body and stood up. I wasn't sure how to respond to him. I looked down at him, and he hadn't moved. His face spoke volumes, and I suddenly remembered that I had been, moments before, in the bath. I slowly turned away from him.

Farrow groaned, and then the chair skidded across the floor. I waited, thinking he was leaving but jumped when his hands touched my shoulders.

He ran his hands down my arms, and they slid smoothly because of the water. "I find your modesty adorable. Though, I will be seeing this," he ran his fingers over my bare stomach, "again this evening."

My heart started beating rapidly. A flurry of emotions settled in my belly. I hadn't expected to react the way I was from his touch. I didn't want to respond how I was. He was a virtual stranger to me, but at the same time, he was my husband.

Farrow pressed his palm against my stomach and pushed me closer to his body. He laid his head on mine, and his hair brushed the sides of my face.

"I don't know what has undone me more, your beauty or your strength." He let me go quickly, and I turned to watch him stand in the doorway.

"Get dressed, and I will see you shortly. My Little Bird."

Farrow had left me flabbergasted. I struggled to process what had happened in the moments since he had entered the room. Of course, he wasn't what my lords had led me to believe. But then again, I was beginning to think, I had yet to see the true power of the Iron Emperor.