Chapter 2: Settlement

I leaned over the marriage contract and read the words over once more. I didn't want to miss any potential loophole. Placing my faith in a man I had never met was nerve-wracking. Did I trust Farrow? Absolutely not. Did I need to trust him? Yes.

Farrow sat across from me, silent as stone. He had watched me read and reread the contract without a word. I did my best to hide my discomfort. I was being surveyed by a man that all the other kingdoms feared. The lords of the north and west had begged me to marry them. I could not.

I pushed the document aside and rubbed my temples. Spending my first hours in this empire had left me tired, and I had spent it reading.

"I assure you I did not write anything into that contract you did not ask for." Farrow lifted a goblet to his lips.

"Everything seems to be in order. The preliminary contract sufficed to procure our marriage and temporarily solidify it. This one," I pulled the contract back to me, "finalizes it."

I picked up a brush and dipped it in ink. I scrawled my name across the bottom. The main reason I had finally agreed to marry Farrow was that he had given me everything I had wanted. Being able to remain in control of the Eastern Kingdom was vital to me, and he had given me that. My people wanted to be ruled over by me, and they would unless there was war. Then, unfortunately, my governing would be given to Farrow.

Farrow pulled the contract across the table. Then, without a second look, he signed it. He understood my hesitation, but I felt he didn't want me to see any of his. This man was iron and stone, rigid and silent. It would be interesting to see how to heat him and make him bend.

I closed my eyes and pinched my nose. Weeks in the carriage had caused my body to stiffen and my head to ache. When I opened my eyes, Farrow locked my gaze with his. I had never seen a gaze so intense from a man of his age. It was as if he had seen a world I couldn't imagine.

"Are you tired?"

"Yes, among other things."

He stood and came to me, once again offering his hand. "I'll take you to get some food and a bath. After that, you may rest."

Confusion furrowed my brow. "Do we not have more to discuss or do to finalize our union?"

He retracted his hand. "The contract is signed. After you have rested, I will introduce you as my Empress. The night is for things of a more intimate nature. No need to rush if you are this weary."

I couldn't stop the rush of heat to my cheeks. I couldn't fathom why he was being so courteous to my feelings. "Thank you, my lord."

He snorted. "I am your husband now; Farrow will be fine."

He again offered me his hand. This time I accepted, and he helped me to my feet. Once I was standing, he pulled me against him. He tipped my head up, and my eyes went wide.

"Don't fear me. I will not harm you, Little Bird." His softness startled me.

"I do not fear you, Lord of Iron."

He leaned down and laid a kiss on my lips. Then, he stood back up, and the determination in his eyes surprised me. I wanted to know what he was feeling in the moment, to understand why that emotion flooded his vision.

"I do not want you to fear me, even when my anger and sternness rise to the surface. On the contrary, I want our marriage to be amicable. If I frighten you or you disagree with me, you must tell me. Your country has thrived under your rulership, and mine is dying. I elected to marry you for this reason, and if you are afraid of me, then you may not help."

A huff escaped my lips. "I married you for protection for my people. Unfortunately, it seems that we put our countries before ourselves."

"As rulers, we do not have the luxury to marry for anything other than our countries. However, it does not mean that we must dislike each other."

I looked away. "I'm sure over time we will develop a relationship that suits our natures well enough."

He stepped back from me. "Yes, we may."

Farrow held his hand out. "I'll show you to the bath now."

I followed behind him as he led me to the bath. Part of his sentence made me wonder if he wanted to say more about our future relationship than he had.