Chapter 10: Bitter Partings

The morning was bright and warm. However, the warmth couldn't disguise the trepidation in the air. Soldiers formed lines in the central courtyard. They had been assigned to travel to every post across the newly named country of Kikon. The people had accepted the name with joy but knew that it also came with dread.

Farrow sat upon a large black stallion. He looked imposing in his armor and finery. It reminded me that he was indeed the Iron Emperor. Farrow's visage dominated the men before me. I would know who he was even if I had never met him. He turned his horse and came to where the governing lords and I were standing.

His eyes gave away more than his face ever would. He didn't want to go for the first time, and I was why. He gripped the reins tightly but didn't move from the horse.

"Empress Akira, I leave Kikon in your capable hands. I will lead our men to victory and return to our capital to rule beside you once again."

I knew he wanted to say return to me, but he couldn't. I took a deep breath and went to him. Puzzlement filled his features.

I offered him a small cloth pouch. "Take this as a token of my affection."

Farrow took the pouch and opened it. He pulled the lock of my hair from it and examined it. Then, Farrow carefully tucked the hair back into the bag and into his armor. I stepped back so he could turn his horse and go.

Farrow dismounted and reached for me. He pulled me to him and kissed me like it was the last time he ever would. He pressed his head to mine. "Be safe, my Empress. I will fight to return to your side."

Before I could respond, he mounted his horse again and turned, rising quickly to the gate. It felt like my heart was breaking into a thousand pieces. I didn't want to show weakness, but it was nearly impossible to hold back tears.

I stood in that place until every soldier left and was long out of sight.