Chapter 3. A Girl Like Me

Previously....

Her voice broke a little. "Please stop the car right now. I want to get out"

-----------------------------

Can reached out and held her wrist. "I'm sorry Sanem, that's not what I meant at all. I was genuinely curious about why you were interested in police work, that's all", he said quietly, sounding apologetic. "And you are absolutely right, Emre is lucky to have Leyla by his side. She seems like a lovely, caring person and I was wrong to question her motives. The truth is I was in a relationship with someone from a similar background, but she was only interested in my money and my social standing and I got burnt. I began to question my own judgement, and it made me irrationally suspicious. That's not fair to you and I truly am sorry. Can we start over again? Lutfen?"

He took his eyes of the road to look at her beseechingly, and she could tell that he was being sincere. "Tamam.  And maybe one day a 'girl like me' will change your life for the better and you'll have to eat your words", she said playfully.

"Maybe...", he said, looking at her thoughtfully

She realized how her words may have sounded to him and she blushed furiously. Ah Sanem, ah! way to stick your foot in your mouth. "I didn't mean it like that, I was just...", she started, trying to explain herself.

He laughed and touched her shoulder re-assuringly. "I get it. I think I'm beginning to understand how your mind works", he teased. "But I really am interested in why you work in crime. It seems like you've lived a sheltered life and this must be quite a big change?"

Sanem told him all about her photographic memory and about Sinan and how he helped her land the job and how it was so great to have a friend at work whom she had known all her life. And about how she loved to write on the side and her cases gave her so much material for her book.

Can loved listening to her talk. She was the perfect storyteller - he felt like he could never tire of it. But the name Sinan kept popping up and he had to ask, "So you and Sinan, huh?"

Sanem shook her head "No, no, not at all. We tried. I even kissed him", she said, before clasping her hand over her mouth. Aiy Sanem, too much information, she thought to herself. "But there were no fireworks, no spark, no nothing.", she gestured with her hands. "Don't you think you should have that? I don't think anyone should ever settle for less", she said vehemently.

She looked at him for confirmation, and he couldn't help but nod in agreement. It was not how he lived his life. He didn't really believe in happily ever after any more. He'd had his share of lightweight relationships after Polen, but he didn't have the heart to argue with her idealistic view. She seemed to sense that maybe he wasn't fully on board, because she looked at him suspiciously and said, "You don't agree, do you? You probably have a girl at every port".

He seemed hurt by that allegation, and didn't say anything for minute. His face became serious and he turned to her briefly and said, "Who's being presumptuous now?"

Sanem wanted to take back her words immediately. It was not like her to hurt someone's feeling. She had just assumed he lived the playboy lifestyle without giving him the benefit of the doubt. This time she reached out and touched his wrist. "I'm sorry, that was unfair. Can we start over? Lutfen?", she repeated his words and was relieved to see the corners of his lips lift into a little smile.

She looked out and realized that they had arrived at her apartment. "Thanks for the ride. Do you want to meet me at the police station tomorrow, we can go and meet that hacker guy Kerem tomorrow."

He pondered a minute, and she wondered if maybe he was reconsidering accompanying her. Maybe that was for the best. Instead he said, "Why don't I pick you up tomorrow and we can just go straight from here".