Chapter 2. Are You Always Like This?

Previously.....

"I'm sorry", he said sincerely, "that was uncalled for. Can we start over? Can Divit ", he held out his hand.

Sanem sighed and relented, albeit unwillingly. She took his hand in hers, "Sanem Aydin"
He shook it. And then he smiled, and she felt her knees go a little weak. Dammit! Were those dimples??? Ugh, she was a sucker for dimples.

--------------------------------------------------------

The doorbell rang and interrupted the moment. Can and Sanem realized they were still holding hands, and Sanem quickly pulled her hand away.

Leyla rushed to door and let out a happy scream to see Metin and Emre there. There was hugs and kisses all around as everyone expressed their relief about Emre being back home.

"I'm glad you're here Abi", Emre said to Can. "Even though I know you can't say long". There was a hint of regret in his voice. He admired his big brother and wished that they were more present in each other's lives.

Can thumped him on his back. "I'm glad I'm here too. I actually have a few vacations days piled up and my next assignment hasn't been decided yet, so I think I can stay for a couple of weeks this time. I'm not leaving till everything is squared away. I promise."

Sanem's spirits lifted at the words, but her inner voice gave her a reality check. Calm down girl, he's staying to help Emre, you'll probably hardly ever see him anyway. Besides, you belong to different worlds. Sanem knew she was right but it annoyed her nevertheless. "tamam, tamam", she said out loud.

"Hmmm?", Can turned to her looking puzzled.

Great! Now he thinks you're a crazy person who talks to herself. She gestured to the air like he could see her inner voice "I was..., its just my...., nevermind", she said shaking her head.

Leyla called out to Sanem. "Sanemcim, could you please make some coffee for us. Emre could really use it, and me too."

"Of course Abla. I'll just make some cay for myself also", Sanem said walking to the kitchen.

As she opened up the cabinet to get the tea, she realized that Can had followed her there. "Could I have some cay too? I much prefer it to coffee and I haven't had a good cup in forever

Sanem nodded. "Actually no one else likes cay here, just me... and now you. " She leaned towards him conspiratorially, as if to share a secret, and put a finger on her lips. "I secretly stock tea in their kitchen so I can drink it when I visit. I also hide some snacks in the back. Abla always eats so healthy, and sometimes i come here straight from work, and I'm so hungry and I need more than carrots and cucumbers, you know? Like, I can eat a whole pizza when I'm hungry. So I..", she stopped mid sentence. She knew was rambling, she did that when she got nervous, and dear God, did he make her nervous.

He looked at her amused, his smile reaching his eyes, and she turned away in confusion at the emotions it evoked.

She tried get the tea, but of course someone had moved it just out of reach. Before she could ask him for help, he had moved closer. Their bodies almost touched as he got it down for her and Sanem held her breath at the hint of contact.

Can knew he didn't need to be right up against her to get the jar down, but his body moved of its own volition. He got another whiff of her perfume and involuntarily inhaled deeply. What was it about this girl that drew him in?

 What was it about this girl that drew him in?