The Right Arm

Eventually, Thomas and Minho went and sat on a couch. I sat in the recliner Thomas fell asleep in and brought my knees up after kicking off my shoes. I could tell both boys were still thinking. I was too. I bet The Flare isn't even real. The Scorch probably never even happened. It was all a set up just to test us. But those two back there who were screaming at the top of their lungs. My mom and dad. WICKED programmed it all. They took my parents to create two more VICTIMS to their PLANS. My mom and dad screaming and shouting in there. Newt, running rampant with a Launcher. Didn't even know. I looked back up at Thomas and Minho as I slipped my arms down to my shins and held my elbows. "Why did he do that? Why wouldn't he come back with us? Why would he point that weapon at my face?" Minho asked with an almost lifeless voice. I wanted to say "Because they controlled him." in an angry tone. Newt didn't get scanned by Hans like we did. He still has the chip in his brain. All of those people do. It's so obvious! "He never would've pulled the trigger." Thomas said. Minho shook his head. "You saw his eyes. He was filled with lunacy. I'd be friend if I kept trying. He's gone." Minho said. "Maybe it's a good thing." Thomas said. I looked at him confused. Minho turned his head to Thomas. "Come again?" He asked him. "Maybe when they let their minds go, they're not themselves anymore. Maybe the Newt we know is gone and he's not aware of what's happening to him. So he's not really suffering." He answered. "Nice try slinthead." Minho said. "I don't believe it. He's probably tormented like a dude buried alive." He said and looked tot he metal floor again. I scoffed and began to put my shoes on. The Berg landed with a thump back at Denver. "I guess we're here." Thomas said. I rose to my feet as Minho spoke.

"I think I understand WICKED a little more now." He said. Thomas stood and I looked at Minho, resting my hands on my hips. "After seeing those eyes up close. Seeing the madness. It's not the same when it's someone you've known for so long. I've watched plenty of friends die, but I can't imagine anything worse. The Flare, man. If we could find a cure for that..." He didn't finish the sentence. Thomas closed his eyes for a minute. Brenda and Jorge joined us. "I'm sorry." Brenda said. For once, they were being bloody considerate. "I know it's hard, but we need to think about what we're going to do next." Brenda said. Minho flew to his feet and pointed at her. "Yoh can think all you want about whatever shuck thing you want, Ms. Brenda. We just left our friend with a bunch of psychos!" He shouted and stormed out of the room. Brenda looked to Thomas. "Sorry." She said. Thomas shrugged. "It's okay. He was with Newt for two years before I showed up in The Maze. It'll take him some time." He said. "We're all spent muchachos." Jorge said. "Maybe we should take a couple of days and rest. Think it all through." Jorge said. "Yeah." Thomas murmured. Brenda leaned to him and squeezed his hand. I wanted to lunge at her and grip her throat but it was a sign of comfort. "We'll figure something out." She said. "There's only one place to start. Gally's." Thomas said. "Maybe you're right." She said. She squeezed his hand once more then stood up. "Let's go Jorge. We'll make something to eat." She said. I rose to my feet and they looked at me. Brenda was worried I might hit her. Jorge looked calm, understanding even. As if he was ready for me to now be thankful for their consideration. "I'm going to gather some weapons. As many as I can carry. I'll meet you back at Gally's." I said. "We should stick together Chica." Jorge said in a caring tone.

"I have to do this Chico." I said with a bit of a head swivel. "Minho's known Newt for years. Thomas knew him before I arrived. I was just his girl briefly." I said. "His girl?" Brenda asked. "Yes. I love him. And I'm not giving up on him. I'll bury him if it comes to it, but I'm finding weapins and joining Gally and the Right Arm. Just like you are. Only I'm making a little side trip. Carry on, do what you have to. I'll meet you at the apartment." I said. "Good luck on your trek." Jorge said as he slapped his hand on my shoulder. He gave me a short shake and walked on. Brenda looked at me. "I know we don't see eye to eye but, be careful out there." She said. "I can take care of myself." I said. She turned, regretting saying anything to me and walked on. I notice Thomas stand and he walked to me. "You don't have to be so hard on her you know." He said to me. "Thomas there is so much more lying within that you don't even know yet but I see it. And Brenda? She's thinking if it comes down to it the two of you can reproduce and repopulate the Earth." I said. "You're talking crazy." He said. I slapped him across his face and he turned and stumbled to the side then held his face and looked at me with shock and sadness. I never laif a hurtful hand on him until then. But he needed to snap out of this and get to know reality here. He slowly pulled his hand off his face. "Trials. Variables. Quarantining. Rat Man. Chancellor. Scorch. Flare. Contagion. Munies. Dissapearance. Lightning. Aliens. Robots. Maze." I said all at one with brief pauses inbetween. His hand now rested at his side and he began to stand straight. I inhaled deeply and he did as well. We both exhaled at the same time. "Okay." He said. Breaking the silence. "I'll see you at Gally's." I said. I stepped to leave but stopped. "I'm sorry." I said. He gave me a nod. "I needed it." He said. I walked to him and kissed his cheek. "And if it comes down to that, IF....you can choose whoever you want." I said.