The Next Move

I woke up to hearing Thomas speak. Brenda was by him. I kind of hated the fact that her little body survived the launcher jolts. Thomas sat up slowly and looked at his arms. "Are these going to leave scars?" He asked. "Of all things to think of." Brenda laughed. I looked at Newt and Minho lying on a couple of couches and tucked in like snug little kids. Brenda must have done that. She touched them! I swiftly looked to her with hate. She sat back and wore a worried look on her face. Thomas was looking at the boys then me. "Hey. Calm down." He said. His voice was quieted and a bit growly like he just woke up. He leaned over and gave me a few hard pats on the back and groaned as he still ached. I started to calm down. "Thank you." I said to Brenda. "It...was no problem." She stuttered. I turned and left to sit by Newt. I wanted to touch him but feared my touch would wake him. I sat down and put my back to the couch with my knees up. I watched Thomas and Brenda speak. Remembering what Newt said, I want you to be with Thomas. But there was Teresa and Brenda as well who were both after him like he's the only eligible person on Earth. But I love Newt. And I wasn't going to give up on him.

They discussed more and then Thomas laid back and she left to the Captain's headquarters. I scooted across over to Thomas who was smiling. He quickly looked at me as I had crept over. "What?" He asked me. "What's our next move?" I asked him. "Oh." He breathed. "Going to Denver." He said. I gave it some thought. "Denver. What's in Denver?" I asked him. "Immune people. A city. A doctor who can stop WICKED from controlling us." He said. All those things sounded good. I gave him a nod. I went back to Newt and waited for him to wake. When he and Minho woke we all ate breakfast and had an hour long discussion. Between the time we were in a circle, and it broke apart, we all discussed angles and plans. Immunes are welcomed into Denver as they're tested. Newt isn't. I didn't want to go to Denver if it meant leaving Newt behind. They made up the plan that we'd go to Denver and keep Newt in the Berg until we come up with a plan. We sat on a couch together, Newt and I. Thomas was resting in a recliner from his headache. "I'm not exactly immune either." I said. "But you can control it." New said.

"I don't want to leave you behind." I told him. "Remember what I said?" He asked me. "Yes, but..." I stopped as he looked directly at me now. "He will take good care of you. I trust him." He said. We both looked to Thomas as he was sleeping. He was truly a guy to trust. "I'm twenty six." I said. Looking to the floor. I never told them my age. "What?" Newt asked me. "I'm an adult. You're just teenagers." I said sadly. "Age is a number." Newt said, throwing any doubt or disregard out the window. "You love who you love." He said. That was true. And these boys acted more like men than anyone. Often I would forget they're only teens. "Besides, I think the age rule has gone and left since the World ended up in ruins." Newt clarified. That was probably true. "I know you're still in there Newt. You're not all crazy." I said. "Not yet." He added. "There will be a cure. There's a doctor. He probably knows more and can cure you. And we'll live together forever." I said. I could tell he wanted that hope to hang onto but a part of him was also just allowing The Flare to take over.

We had another gathering and talked more about Denver and what we'd do. Newt acted up again. He stormed away and Minho followed him. I looked to Thomas and Brenda. "I'm staying with him on the plane." I said. "You should see Denver. You can have a future." She said. "My future lies with Newt." I argued back. "It might not..." She said. The temptation to punch her in the face was there. Thomas sent Brenda away and sat down with me. "Look, I know that going through this with Newt is a struggle. I find it hard, myself. But there is possibilities here. And if this doctor is good enough, you can come back and get Newt. But I know he'll even force you to go into the city with us." Thomas said. He was right. Newt would. "Okay." I answered. "We're gonna get through this. And we're going to help him. Together." He said. He reached to me and grabbed my hand. His touch was comforting. "He told me something." I said. "What?" Thomas asked and looked to me sincerely. "He told me that he wants me to stay with you. Because he trusts you'd take good care of me." I revealed. I looked to him in the eyes. "Well he's right." He said. He gave my hand a squeeze then he stood and left.