The Death Cure (Revised)

I spent weeks in that room. Pacing, sitting, they gave me food at odd times. Probably to drive me more insane. I became like an animal. Everytime they'd feed me I would crawl over and devour it with my hands. I sat back and looked around at the room. There was a desk inside and a toilet to use. I checked the drawers but they were empty. I hadn't been able to bathe or brush my teeth. The grit bugged me and the dirt under my nails I kept picking at. My lack of hygeine was making me a bit crazy. My head itched and my face was greasy. I sat by a wall with my knees up and started thinking to myself about Thomas. Where he is, how he feels. I needed to see him. I needed to know where he was. Where they took him. If he's safe. I felt my teeth pressed together and jaw popped out. The pressure rang in my ears each time.

The door opened and my eyes shifted to it immediately. I had gone over this scenario in my head. Attack and run! I got on one knee with my right hand on the floor, left hand in a closed fist. Rat Man walked in. Dressed in his white suit he had before. He showed me he had some electric device that zapped. A memory flooded back to me. Thomas tried helping me escape but I became tazed. I was leaning forward but I slunk back and grinded my fingers. "Atta girl." He said and closed the door. Clutching a file to his side he walked to the desk and sat at it. "Where is he? What have you done with him?" I asked. "Who?" He asked me. He now placed the files and taser on the desk. He leaned forward with his elbows resting on his knees now. A look of concern on his face. "Thomas." I answered. "We have him contained as well. He has experienced a breakthrough in the virus and he is in a safe place." He said and sat back, now swishing through his files. "Like here? Like this place?!" I asked, now getting enraged. He put his hand on the taser and I relaxed.

"Yes. You have The Flare as well." He said. "I already knew that genius." I snapped. "Yes, and we are seeing a substantial amount of progress in you." He complimented. "You watch me....fighting for my life out there with the others and protecting Thomas. You like this don't you?! You enjoy this! All of you! You're animals!" I shouted. He turned to me with the taser still in his hand and I rushed to the other wall away from him and began to rise up. "You think we LIKE this? You think we ENJOY this? We surely aren't and it's all for a good reason. You will find out." He informed me. I breathed a bit calmer. "It's for research. For a cure. Isn't it?" I asked him. He turned around and placed the taser on the desk again and went swishing through his files once more. "Why should I trust you?" I asked him. "Because I will trust you." He said and took the batteries out of the taser and put them in one drawer and the taser in the other. "Okay Rat Man. What's next?" I asked him. "I've been wondering when you'd ask me that." He said. I felt ready for anything that they would throw at me next. I didn't care anymore. As long as it still involved me protecting my friends.

He read a paper and pushed all his files back as if he was going to leave. Then turned around in the chair to face me. "You are the only adult in your group of friends. That's what we were testing you for. If you would have that natural feeling or urge to protect those because they are younger. And you've done a fine job. Especially with bringing Thomas to us." He said. "I didn't bring him....to you. You kidnapped him. And me!" I said angrily. He turned around and grabbed the taser and batteries in the drawers and quickly put it back together. I never moved. "I'm not going to kill you Rat Man. Not....yet." I threatened. He began to burst into a laughter. Something I haven't heard in a long time. I inhaled deeply then exhaled as he slowly began to stop laughing. "You'll never get that chance." He said and stood with his papers. "As soon as we find the cure, you will be set free along with the others." He said and began heading for the door. "But I have The Flare." I said. "You won't, after we find a cure." He said. His hand now held the knob and he looked to me. "I told you, this is all for your own good." He said and opened the door. A cure. Something to make me better. Something to make me less enraged like I felt. Less like the animal I had become. I would be normal.

"Come with me. I'll lead you to a room with a shower and clean clothes." He said and walked out, leaving the door open. I warily went to the doorway. "It's not a trap. Come on." He said and began walking down a hallway. I looked around at the hallway. There was another door like mine. Then the long corridor and pictures along the wall. "I don't have all day!" He said loudly as he was down the hallway. I turned and walked down the hallway almost like I was in a fury. "What is this place? Is this WICKED headquarters?" I asked. "Freshen up. You have thirty minutes. Then we'll take you to your friends." He said. "Newt." I said out loud. "Yes, him. And the others. Now go on." He urged. As he swished his hands towards me I turned and went into the room and closed the door. I took a quick shower but washed myself and my hair a couple times and dressed. A pair of jeans, running shoes, a seemingly tight fit black shirt and a watch. Whatever WICKED had in mind next obviously didn't involve being out in that desert land again. I was glad and relieved to know that. I looked at myself in the mirror and still saw the lettering of the tattoo. I didn't care. It reminded me of how I'd kill to save my friends. I walked to the door and went out and closed it. Looking down the hallway to my left I saw Rat Man. And Thomas!