Chapter Five

Chapter 5

            It was later at night and Jessica just finished putting the kids to sleep. Now that all of the furniture was set in the house, Jessica could tell that the whole household was calmer and more home-like. It was comfortable and it felt like a house.

            However, Jessica was still paranoid. She was waiting for a call from Michael so that she could get a progress report. As much as she was glad that the kids were warming up to the house and their lives without their father, she couldn’t help looking out and around to make sure that he wasn’t there. Jessica didn’t know how long she would be able to hide in one place before moving, or how long it would take Lucas and the club to find her, but she knew that she wouldn’t be able to hide long. Lucas wasn’t an idiot and no matter how much Michael could try and hide them and their identities, she knew that it was very likely Lucas would somehow find her and it made her chill to the bone.

            She was in her bed, reading a book she recently borrowed from the library when she heard the call. She knew that only one person would have the number of the house that wasn’t a telemarketer. She quickly got up and rushed to the kitchen to the on the wall phone so that her kids wouldn’t wake up and she would spend another twenty minutes trying to get to bed. She didn’t think she needed to spend money for another phone if there was already one there. And she knew she wouldn’t be talking on the phone too much anyway and neither would the kids.

            Picking up the phone, she asked as she leaned against the wall, “hello?”

            “It’s me. I thought that I better check up on you,” Jessica heard Michael’s voice over the phone, “how are you and the kids doing?”

            “Good. We bought the furniture, the groceries. That was my big spending right now. I’m going to need a job soon. Everything is so expensive.”

            “I know. I’m going to try and help you financially as much as I can. If it gets too low just call me on your cell-phone because it goes to a prepaid phone that no one can trace me or you on.”

            Jessica nodded and asked in a small voice, “How is it going over there?”

            Michael sighed and was silent a few moments after before confessing, “I’m not going to lie to you Jess, he is pissed. The club is looking everywhere for you. It was only a matter of two hours before they found your car but as much as I’ve heard, they don’t have any more leads, but he’s looking hard for you and the kids. To all of them you fell off the face of the earth. He has no idea where you went but he is doing all that he can to find you.”

            By then her hands were shaking and Jessica asked him, “are you sure they don’t know where I am?”

            “I’m not one hundred percent sure, but they wouldn’t have gotten it so fast. I made sure that you left no trace, Jess. I parked the new car in a spot with no security cameras and around no houses so they can’t get your license plate, I changed your names, Jess you are going to be okay.”

            Jessica was clutching the phone before whispering, “this was a bad idea, Michael. I can’t believe I did this. He’s going to kill me and the kids when he finds us.”

            “Jessica listen to me, this was not a bad idea. You and the kids are away from him and are safe. You’re no longer getting your bones broken just by looking at him. Jessica you and the kids are safer where you are now than you ever were before in your life, especially your life around Lucas,” Michael told her.