Chapter Two

Chapter 2

Jessica finally rolled into the driveway of the new house that she, or rather Claire Anderson, owned. It was a smaller one story house that was a red brick with a black roof. It looked to be in an L shape. There was no garage and there was a bit of a front yard that made the house hidden by a large weeping willow tree. Oh well, it was home for her and she wouldn’t complain about it. She would have taken a shack.

The kids were all awake, listening to the Sesame Street music that Jessica packed into their bags to entertain them. They sang along with the songs, giggling and resting on and off in the entire trip after waking up in the morning. She stopped on the way to McDonalds and got them something small to eat for breakfast. She knew it wasn’t the healthiest, but it fed them and they were happy about it.

Even though Jessica knew that she should have kept driving the entire time, she had to stop. She was falling asleep at the wheel at about three thirty in the morning so she found the back of a store parking lot that was in the dark and fell asleep in the driver’s seat. It was an uncomfortable and cramped sleep, but she slept until six in the morning when her baby girl Sophie woke up, which also had all of the others wake up as well. After calming the baby down, Jessica got driving again. She made a long range during the night and in the morning, going on major highways so that she could drive over the speed limit and make good time, just like everyone else on those highways.

She didn’t make it into Charming until almost noon and by then the kids were getting whiny. They wanted out of their seats and to play. When she got into Charming, she sighed with relief and got out the map to find out where she now lived by the address she was given. She was relieved. She was here and the neighbourhood looked nice. The neighbours seemed to be either elderly people or families with kids, which was a definite plus.

Shutting the car off, she smiled and told them, “hey guys, we’re here! This is our new house. Doesn’t it look nice?”

Her children were smiling and nodding, giggling as the twins began to take off their seatbelts. Jessica got out and gave a large stretch with her legs and arms before she opened the back doors. She unhooked Sophie and took her out to hold her and rock her as the eight month old looked around at the new surroundings. She then helped Heidi out before Brandon and Bray got out themselves. Jessica shut the door and looked around before she led the kids to the front door. She was given a key in the compartment and she unlocked the door and let them inside first to run around. The first room that they entered was what looked like the living room. There was a small wall way that held a closet. Moving in a bit more she noticed that the kitchen was connected to it as well. The flooring was a honey coloured hardwood. She moved a bit more down the road before she saw a small hallway. She entered each room. There were three rooms. Jessica could have a room to herself, Brandon and Bray could share a room, Heidi would have a room that would be shared with Sophie when the baby got old enough, but for now Jessica would have to get a crib and put it in her room.

They had a kitchen area that had all of the major things and a bathroom that had everything, but all the beds, couches, tables, dressers…everything had to be bought and she knew that would most likely be a lot of money. She had to buy more clothes and toys for the kids and herself since she couldn’t bring everything that they had before. And she had to go grocery shopping.

It was a lengthy and expensive list.

Jessica looked outside from the sliding door that led to the fenced in backyard. It was a good size. If she needed to she could get some equipment outside too for them to play with.

It was hard to get the kids back in the car to go shopping for furniture, but she managed to do that after getting out some of their toys for them to play with on the car ride there. It took her a bit to find a furniture store, but she found one and parked. Again, the kids didn’t want to go inside since it was ‘boring shopping’ but Jessica got them inside to tell them they could bring in one toy and watch it carefully and play it quietly. It worked.