09

present day

"Hey," Kaylee said, nervously swaying from side to side. She hadn't been expecting to see her one night stand again, since he had left her apartment while she was doing her morning run. She had assumed that Ashton didn't like her that much or wasn't looking for anything more.

"Wait, how do you know each other?" Stevie asked, hoping to release some of the awkward tension happening.

"I, uh, met him at the bar the other night," Kaylee bit her lip after she answered. She exchanged a look with Stevie that left Ashton confused.

"Well, I'm going to go get some punch. It was good seeing you Stevie. Congratulations," he said, giving a small nod before walking toward the punch table. He poured himself a glass of the red liquid, taking a long drink. As he was pouring himself another glass, Kaylee walked up.

"Sorry if that was terribly awkward. I had no idea that you knew Stevie," she smiled, but it wasn't whole heartedly.

"Likewise," Ashton nodded. "You want a glass of punch?" he offered, but the girl shook her head. Ashton began to walk to a couple of chairs set up off to the side. "So how do you know her?" He knew that Stevie said they were best friends from university, but he was just trying to make conversation. In the daylight with no liquid confidence, there seemed to be an air of awkwardness over them.

"We were on the gymnastics team together. We got really close from being on the team and traveling a lot. She helped me through some hard times."

Ashton nodded. "I really didn't expect to see you again," he confessed. He had wanted to see this mystery girl again, she had made him stop thinking about Stevie. Yet, he still wasn't sure that he could let her go yet. He knew that he needed to, she was engaged for god's sake.

"Me neither. You kind of rushed out of there."

"I had work," he explained. "You could have woken me up before your run though."

Kaylee shrugged. "You looked so adorable sleeping that I couldn't bring myself to wake you," she said, hiding her face from Ashton. She was embarrassed about saying that out loud to him.

"Oh," he chuckled. "I've never been told that before so thanks." Ashton tried for a few moments to think of something else to say to keep the conversation going. "Are you excited about the wedding?" he came up with since that was the reason they were being reunited: Stevie's engagement.

"I guess so," she started. "It gives me some pressure though. It's as if I'm supposed to settle down as well, since all of my friends are either married or going to be. All through university, I was the one that always just wanted to have fun and not commit." Kaylee didn't look at Ashton while she spoke, instead she looked off at Stevie and Aaron. He had his arm around Stevie's waist, holding her close. Ashton followed her gaze and tried to hold back his disgust. It was still weird to her, to see who he believed to be the love of his life on the arm of someone else.

After the two sat in silence for a few moments, it being comfortable this time, Ashton turned his gaze back to Kaylee. She was quite beautiful, something he hadn't taken much time to notice the other night. Her lips were covered in bright red lipstick, full and kissable. Her skin was pale, but not ghostly pale. Ashton had always believed that he was partial to brunettes, but he liked how her hair was different shades of blonde mixed together.

"I understand that," he nodded, referring to the pressure Kaylee had spoken about. "I work at the same coffee shop that I did when I was in school. I feel that I should move on, but I love it there. I feel this responsibility to stay home too, that I can't leave my family." Ashton had thought about going to university after a year of being without Stevie. He had considered following her to wherever she went, but he knew she woudn't like that. He finally gave up, halfway through filling out the applications. He didn't feel as though he would do well on his own at that point in his life and he hadn't seriously considered leaving since.

Kaylee reached over the small space between them and grabbed his hand. "Then I guess we can feel the pressure together," she smiled at him, without teeth.

Ashton smiled back and reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone. "Can I get your number now? That way we can stay in touch?" Kaylee nodded, and handed her phone to him. After getting their own phones back, Ashton stood, stretching a bit as he did. "I'm in need of the bathroom, so I'll see you?"

Kaylee smiled again and nodded. "Definietly."

Ashton walked toward Stevie's new house and through the sliding door. He aimlessly searched, opening doors slightly as he did. He ran in to Stevie's mom, carrying a tray of food.

"Oh, Ashton! How wonderful it is to see you!" she gushed, a very bright smile on her face. She looked the same as he remembered. He had seen her now and again around town, but obviously less since his split from her daughter.

"Hi, Mrs. Pierce," Ashton said. "Do you-"

"Oh, call me Alice," she interrupted.

"Alice," he corrected himself. "Do you mind telling me where the bathroom is?"

"Up the stairs and first door on the right."

"Thanks," he said and walked to the stairs. Once he reached the top of them, he could not for the life of him remember if Stevie's mother had told him the first door on the right or the first door on the left. He silently cursed himself for not listening close enough. He turned to the left, convincing himself that was the right way. He turned the knob, but did not see a bathroom. He quickly slammed the door back shut and shook his head, trying to rid his mind of the image he just witnessed.

sorry for the wait, i've been busy and i also lost this chapter and had to start over.

do you like ashton with stevie or kaylee?? and what do you think ashton saw??

please vote and comment xx zoe