30

flashback

Two years later, Ashton's shift in the coffee shop was just about to end. The coffee shop was about to close as well, so he was wiping down the tables when he heard the bells on the door ding. He didn't pay any attention to who entered, too focused on making sure everything was set for closing.

Ashton finally looked up and noticed Stevie still standing by the entrance. Her arms were folded across her chest, dressed in black leggings and top with an oversized flannel.

Stevie was nervous about going to the coffee shop that night, wondering if she was making a huge mistake. Over the last two years, they had been inseparable, yet she didn't know what the future was going to hold.

Ashton had been showing little to no ambition about the future, causing her to wonder if it was worth it to stay with him when she went away.

"Hang on," he told her. "I just have to go hang up my apron and clock out." There was no one else in the coffee shop, so he didn't see the problem in closing a few minutes early.

Stevie swallowed the lump in her throat. "Okay."

Ashton noticed how weird she was acting and he was getting a bad feeling about it. He untied his black apron and hung it with all the others. Walking back to Stevie, the worst possible things ran through his mind. Maybe she was sick or maybe she didn't want to go to prom anymore. Maybe she got accepted into that school so far away.

Ashton took her into his arms, hugging her tightly but Stevie's arms were limp around his waist. "Everything alright?" he asked, taking her hand and walking her to a table.

"Mhmm." A small smile formed on her lips, but to Ashton it seemed sad.

The two sat across from each other, the silence between them becoming awkward and uncomfortable. Stevie cleared her throat before speaking, breaking the silence. "I don't really know how to do this..."

"...do what?" Ashton asked slowly. The look in Stevie's eyes told him that whatever she was going to say wasn't good.

"I think we should break up. I'm about to go away to school and you didn't even apply to school."

Ashton felt his heart breaking, all over again. "I told you. I'm working at the coffee shop to help my mom and siblings. I thought you understood. Not everyone's family is rich."

"But does that mean you're going to be working there for the rest of your life? Because that's just not realistic." She shook her head, wondering where all his ambition went. All he seemed to do was play video games with Luke when he wasn't at the coffee shop or with her.

"I don't know! Why am I supposed to have my whole life planned out at 17? That's so stupid, Stevie. I barely even know who I am."

She rolled her eyes. "But that doesn't mean you should just throw your future away. Education is important."

"College isn't for everyone. Hell, school in general isn't for everyone. The coffee shop may be shitty but I'm still making money and can help my mom out." He thought Stevie understood why he was doing what he was, but it seemed like something had shifted in her mind.

"I still think we should break up," she told him simply. "I don't want to be tied down at school and always worrying about you back here."

Ashton sighed. "Is this your dad talking? Did he put these thoughts in your head?"

Steve shook her head, her lips turning into a frown. "No, he was encouraging me to stay with you. My mom too."

"I don't want to lose you, Stevie. I love you and I thought you loved me too."

"It's not that I don't love you, Ash. It's because I do love you."

"That's bullshit and doesn't make any sense. Why would you break up with me if you love me?" He was bewildered by her words and just wanted this whole conversation to be a figment of his imagination.

"I'm sorry, Ashton. I really am, but this is for the best." Stevie stood up and gave him a sad smile. "Don't think I regret anything we've had, okay? Because you taught me how I deserve to be treated. Whoever you end up with is a lucky girl." She bent down to place a lingering kiss on his cheek. "I did love you," she whispered.

Ashton watched as she walked out of the coffee shop, still believing that this was all just a dream.

oh my gosh, it feels like it's been forever. I've been so busy and on vacation and I just saw one direction (they're so amazing and I miss them) and I see 5sos this weekend (I'm so excited, ahh). But I hope you like this. Please vote and comment. The story from now on will be all present day. xx zoe