9

They turned a corner, up the mouth of the valley they could see Queen Isolde's castle. It was half built into the earth, made entirely of black granite inlaid with gold, its shadow loomed over the approaching trio. The building was extraordinary to behold, its spires could have held up the sky, the drums that announced their approach instilled a deep fear in the women. They were drums of war. Their approach was slow, the valley was deep and long, the sky above was deep grey but the great golden sun shone through the cloud.

"It's going to rain." Lily spoke, mostly to herself, her gaze focused on the vast, moody sky. Katherine looked upward just as a small, cold, drop landed upon her cheek. It was gentle at first, the drops were delicate and infrequent, lightly dampening their hair and clothes. Then the sky opened up, there was a downpour, soaking the travellers in freezing water. Their hair and clothes clung to their skin, they shivered in the cutting breeze. There was no shelter, no respite from the storm, they had no choice but to press on.

Queen Isolde watched the trio's approach from her boudoir tower, the tallest of the three, right at the heart of the castle. The gale rushed through her open windows, her deep red curtains and nightgown danced in the wind. Isolde turned from the balcony,

"Dress me. I wish to make an impression." Isolde stood in the centre of her chambers while her handmaidens rushed about her, unlacing and pulling apart one dress and covering her with another. A structured black velvet gown, tight and elegant. A statement piece, inlayed with diamonds and solid gold boning, a vain display of wealth. One of the handmaidens applied bold black and red makeup to the Queen while another brushed, twisted and slicked back her hair. Isolde gazed at herself in a full length mirror, ornate and solid silver. She admired the lines of her neck, the curves of her body and her deep green eyes. With her vanity satiated she began to descend the obsidian spiral staircase towards the throne room.

Katherine, Lily and Sir Dolan arrived at the tall iron gates, an invisible mechanism bid them slowly swing open. The trio carried on through, the courtyard was empty except for large granite statues of old Kings and Queens, the ladies of the mountain did not recognise their looming likenesses. They dismounted and Sir Dolan led them forwards, towards two grand shining bronze doors, which creaked open by themselves. They proceeded down a long granite corridor, lit with sconces of deep green flame. Lily gripped Katherine's hand, they feared what lay ahead, behind all those doors that opened for them one by one.

They reached the most ornate doors they had seen, black marble with elegant carvings of trees, snakes and lions. It opened to a throne room, it was a cavernous space, made entirely of inky granite and filled with firelight. Upon the throne sat the Queen, sat stiff upright and staring straight at Katherine. Sir Dolan dropped onto one knee, he pressed his hand to his breast and bowed his dead before his Queen. Isolde stood, towering over her subjects.

"Thank you Sir, for bringing these women to me. You will of course be rewarded, leave us please." Queen Isolde's voice was strong and commanding. Sir Dolan stood, bowed and excited from a side door, leaving the ladies of the mountain alone with the Queen. Isolde sat back down upon her emerald chair and took a deep drink from her crystalline goblet of dark red wine. Katherine and Lily stood staring up at the woman, their clothes dripping onto the floor, they held onto each other and shivered; both from cold and fear. The Queen smirked at their obvious discomfort.

"Princess Katherine of the mountain... It is a pleasure to meet you at last." Isolde swilled the wine in her cup and tapped her fingers on the arm of her throne. Katherine stumbled for words, her eyes wide with confusion and anxiety but she held her nerve and remembered her lifetime of courtly training.

"And you your majesty." Katherine gave a short and polite curtsey, Lily followed her lead.

"You both must be freezing. I'll organise bed chambers and dry clothes for you at once." Isolde's words were kind but her voice was dead and numb.

"You are too kind your majesty." Queen Isolde whistled once, the sound echoed through the vast room. A downcast serving girl rushed to her side, listened intently to the Queen's hushed whispers then dashed off again. Lily found herself struggling to breathe, her nerves contorted and crushed her lungs. Isolde did not speak, just drank and tapped her fingers with increasing impatience. Neither Katherine nor Lily knew what to say nor dared to speak so they just stood in the intimidating silence, staring up at the marble faced Queen. She was impossible to read.

After some time another woman, dressed all in black, rushed into the room and curtsied lowly before both the Queen and the ladies of the mountain. She took Katherine by the hand and led her from the throne room, Lily followed dutifully, taking one last look at the glowering Queen before leaving into the corridor. A long winding hallway of black stone and green fire, the ground sloped and twisted upwards as they ascended one of the palaces towers. They moved in silence, the handmaid's face stricken, her gaze cast downwards; she moved with silence and stiffness.

The guest room was the top floor of the east wing tower, it sat three stories below the Queen's private chambers and had a balcony around the entirety of its perimeter. The interior was stunning, the walls were carved with scenes from ancient mythology, goddesses of wealth and magic stretched out across the ramparts. The fourposter bed was made of solid gold and engraved with fruits and flora, the drapings and bedsheets were of fine white silk.

"Your room your majesty." The pale woman curtsied again, "If your handmaid would like to follow me I'll show her to the servants quarters."

"The servants quarters?" Katherine was offended by the proposal but kept her diplomacy, "No, thank you, that is not necessary... Lily will share with me." Isolde's handmaid bowed her head and took a step backwards towards the door.

"As you wish." She stated, numbly.

"What is your name?" Katherine was desperate to learn more about her environment and this trembling girl was her only contact with the strange inner workings of Isolde's castle.

"I'm Josie your majesty."

"Sit a while with us Josie, tell us about your mistress." Lily followed Katherine's lead, pulling up a velvet cushioned armchair for the girl.

"The Queen is... elegant... and gracious. She is... revered and..." Josie flopped about, pulling semi positive words from the air with a lost desperation. Katherine cut her off,

"Josie, please, you can tell us the truth. We just want to know more about our gracious host. We will repeat nothing." Josie shook her head, gaze fixed on the ground. She slowly backed towards the door, pointing at a series of bells hung on the wall; each with a label. Dresser, chef, scullery, handmaid.

"If you need anything please ring one of these bells, there are dry clothes in the dresser, please enjoy your rest my lady." Josie curtsied to Katherine again and then departed, leaving a heavy, uneasy atmosphere.

"I didn't like that." Lily interjected.

"Neither did I."