33

The procession was arranged early, it was an inordinate display of riches. Pure white horses huffed in the desert heat and beat their hooves against the sand. Serving girls played silver flutes to welcome the sunrise which rose above red dunes. Katherine, Lily, Thea and Agathe were seated inside a white carriage; the King sat upon a grand horse at the front. Others moved on foot. They were a sight to see, the path was arid and foul; had the ladies of the mountain tried to cross the desert alone they would have surely died.

The sun climbed higher and the day grew more tiresome, the shade inside the carriage offered little relief from the burning star. Sweat drenched all the travellers.

"Is the heat this awful in Maequil?" Katherine asked the Queen, fanning herself with black lace. Thea shook her head and smiled at the young princess,

"There is a cool sea breeze, it's quite pleasant actually. I think you'll both like Maequil. It is not as grand as the city of sunlight, but it is old and proud." Queen Thea pulled back the gossamer curtain to peer out at the red wasteland, rich orange sunlight illuminated her skin like fire. For as far as the eye could see there was naught but dunes and sky. No animals could roam there, no nomads dared to face the vast nothingness.

Katherine spent the journey returning to the person that she had once been, she fantasised about the kingdom that lay before her. She thought of the lions and of the mermaids. She dreamt of love, soft and gentle. Like the morning sun through lace curtains, lulling her into life. It was a fickle, girlish dream. That maybe, somehow, the man she had been sold to could show her real love. It was hopeless. Still it was a pleasant enough way to pass the time.

Soon the city came into view, like a mirage it rose from the desert. Square rooms of orange sandstone were stacked atop each other, rising up to meet the sky. Katherine and Lily hung their heads from the carriage windows to take in the sights, the great glittering blue water that seemed to go on forever enraptured them. They had never seen the sea before. They felt the breeze that Queen Thea had spoken of, and tasted the salt in the air.

"The impossible city." Agathe smiled, she was wry.

"Impossible why?" Lily asked the elf.

"The desert is deadly, the sea more so. And yet life flourishes anyway." The remainder of their journey was completed in heavy silence, they watched as the walls crept closer.

Their arrival was heralded by the sound of brass and strings. The great gates to Maequil were opened and the procession entered. The lower city was swarming with activity, they passed through a bazaar of shouting merchants and colourful produce. Music and chatter filled the streets. The people covered themselves in light cotton as protection from the sun and heat. Upwards the royal procession climbed, with their white satin flags and velvet mares, towards the castle upon the mound. Katherines spirit felt as though it were being constricted, Lily gripped her clammy hands. There was nothing that could be said.

The King of the desert stood to greet the gentlemen and women of the northern kingdoms. He donned a crown of gold and a cloak of lion hide, he was dark and tall.

"Let me do the talking." Queen Thea winked at the ladies of the mountain before disembarking the carriage, Katherine and Lily followed. The sun was glaring, the vicious heat came as a shock to the fair women who were used to gales and frost.

"Welcome friends." The King's voice was deep and booming, like waves crashing against rock. There was no sign of the prince. He bowed and kissed the hand of Queen Thea, she had a peculiar power over men.

"It's a pleasure to be with you again your majesty." Spoke the Queen, her lips slightly parted and her eyes slightly closed. Her husband was clueless to her wiles.

"And yourself. Now allow me to take in my new ward." The King stepped forwards towards the flower of the mountain and looked her up and down, she was stiff, reduced to a mere object of beauty. The King made a sound of agreement.

"She will do nicely. Let us go inside." The desert King whistled for servants to see to the horses and the carriage.

Inside the castle was miraculously cool, there was a gentle aroma of aloe and cactus flower. The halls were of pale sandstone and the floors were glossy white marble. Tame lionesses prowled the lofty rooms, like grand, oversized kittens. The two Kings began talking in hushed tones about manners of politics and noble heroics. The ladies of the mountain inhaled their new home, the throne room was simple but beautiful. Windows overlooked the great green sea, the movement of the water and the glistening of sunlight was sublime. Katherine thought that if she had to live there forever at least she would have the sea to look at.

The Queen interrupted the nattering of Kings to remind them of the troubles of women. "Where is the young prince this afternoon?"

"Oh, I don't know, he'll be back for the feast." The desert King dismissed her worries.

"I'm sure that Katherine would like to meet her betrothed." Thea placed her hand on the King's lower back, she was blessed in the art of tactile manipulation.

"Patience your majesty, why don't you take her to the late Queen's quarters. They're hers now. I will send for you when it is time." Sensing she had lost her battle and knowing when to quit, Thea bowed her head and accepted her task.

The Queen, the ladies of the mountains, Agathe and Ixia progressed further into the castle to where the late Queen had once lived before her tragic death through childbirth. The halls were quiet and a pleasant ocean breeze drifted through small slits in the wall. The Queens quarters were at the top floor, beside the Kings. They were vast and homely, boasting three bedrooms, a comfortable bathroom, a lounge area and dressing room.

"Welcome to your new home." Queen Thea spoke as she drew back the lace curtains to reveal a large marble balcony overlooking blue surging waters as far as the eye could see. Agathe stood at the window and looked to the east, there she could just make out the white shores of her homeland. Katherine sat herself upon a pale blue chaise lounge and looked around the apartment, it was understated yet beautiful.

"Is it wrong I was expecting more of a welcome?" Katherine asked Thea, who had become something of a mentor. The Queen of sunlight shook her head,

"You will get one, tonight there will be a welcome ball. No one celebrates quite like those in Maequil." Thea herself was quietly brimming with excitement, she adored a ball, she saw it as a chance to plant seeds of political intrigue and to further mentor Katherine.

"Have you ever met Solomon?" Lily asked, nervous for her mountain sister.

"Once, a few years ago. He shouldn't give you too much trouble." The Queen sat opposite Katherine and Lily, upon a leather armchair. Agathe stayed at the window, squinting and trying to make out the ivory towers of the elven city.

"What do you mean by that?" The Queen gave a wry smile.

"He is in love." Katherine felt a blow to her chest that she had not anticipated, she realised then that she had been allowing herself too much hope for romance.

"Do not look so pitiful, this is a blessing, in time you will learn that." Thea's words not not ease Katherine's aching but she supposed Thea was probably right. They remained shut away in that apartment until the sun set and the moon rose. The stars over the city were unfathomably sublime, like diamonds set in black silk.