17

Katherine and Lily had been wandering the wasteland for days, always one step ahead of the Queen's guards. Their feet were blistered and bleeding but they never faltered. They had run out food and prayed for some better luck soon, thankfully water was plentiful. The sun was beginning to set and the temperature slowly changed from searing to frozen, the golden hour illuminated the moorland with such beauty. Within minutes thick mist closed in and a downpour began to fall from the sky, the heavens cracked and roared. A crescent moon hung in the dark grey above, after half an hour Katherine and Lily were ankle deep in black mud. Still they trudged on, unable to lie down and sleep in the wet earth anyway. There was no shelter from the torrential rain or from the powerful wind that tugged and pushed at them. They climbed the valley side with the wind at their backs, the ascent was long and difficult but the view from the top was worth it. They could see for miles, a landscape rich with hills and valleys glowing with mist and dappled sunlight.

As the travellers continued they came across a strange ruin, twelve monoliths in a circle, on a base of stone which was covered in strange marks, similar to the ones Florabella had made in her notebooks. They tracked time and the movements of the universe. Katherine and Lily rested against one of the large rocks, they took shelter from the wind and rest from all their walking. From the air, or the mist, or the otherworld, appeared a woman, she was crazed. Her eyes contained too much fire, too much ancient manic wisdom. She lunged for Katherine, grabbing her by the throat and slamming her against the monolith. With the strange woman's touch Katherine's world exploded into colour. There were layers upon layers of life, all happening at once. There were people dancing, sobbing, fighting, fucking, people or shadows of people; memories of people. Executioners and Kings. Executioners of Kings.

"At last! I've found you at last!" The witch cackled with joy, and sobering relief. There was bright sunlight, howling storms, blizzards of snow, all at once. Katherine could make out the old walls of the palace, the ruin had regrown and the monoliths were twelve thrones for the twelve kingdoms. Then Katherine realised where they were, an ancestral place, long lost to time.

"The seat of Kings." Kathrine muttered, in astonishment. The seat of kings had once been a place of harmony, where the rulers of the eleven kingdoms and come together to keep peace. Before peace fell apart. There was an eternity of sound rattling about the moor, voices upon voices, singing, screaming, laughter.

"And of Queens." The sylth released Katherine and the visions fell away. Lily lunged herself between Katherine and the creature.

"Who are you!?" Lily demanded.

"Call me what you like, I have a thousand names... I am no threat. I am simply an observer."

"An observer of what?"

"Eternity." Lily could have scoffed if not for the deathly serious expressions of both Katherine and the withered witch. Katherine pushed Lily to the side,

"You don't need to protect me from her." Katherine put her full trust in the creature, how could she not after swimming through the landscape of time.

"Then what are you?" Lily asked.

"I am not of this world, I fell from the heavens and landed in this place. I was mistress of time."

"What are you now?" Katherine asked the nameless woman who appeared on the verge of tears.

"Nothing more than a witch." Her voice cracked and she spat out the word witch, it was a far cry from the power she had once wielded. "But now I have found you, flower of the mountain, I can show you what you are meant to be shown. Then I will be free."

"Then show me." The witch nodded and closed her eyes, as if in deep concentration, she folded her hands over her heart and tilted her face to the sky. The planets began to shift, the change was slow at first, the sun that had just set began to rise again from the west. Days passed from night to morn, as the process began to speed up the planets raced backwards across the skies. Centuries passed, the ghosts of years long gone moved about the halls. Lily clasped Katherine's hand in awe and fear. After some time of dizzying spinning time stood still, they found themselves spectators to an empty room.

The throne room was breathtaking, built by the dwarves its arches were vast and inlaid with gold and emerald. At the southern end of the room was a stain glass window, a gift from the elves, the coloured glass filled the room with a rainbow of light. The window depicted the symbol of peace, a woman dressed in green, holding a set of golden scales in one hand and a dove in the other. Grand marble doors swung open and an elven woman entered, she was tall and pale, with red hair that grazed the cobblestone floor. She had an aura of power and of grace, her crown of glass sat high upon her head. The ancient Queen sat upon her throne and awaited the rest of the council.

Next came King of the underworld, of mines and caves, ruler of the dwarven lands. He was gruff and stout, he knelt before the elven Queen and kissed her hand. His weapons holster was empty, weaponry was forbidden in the council room. Then entered the old King of Maequil, a lions skin slung over his shoulder. He too kissed the hand of the elven Queen, her expression remained stoic and unimpressed.

The Queen of the meadow entered, she was light and airy, as meadow dwellers have always been, unaffected by hardship. Then came the once peaceful race of the dryad, they were forest dwellers and spirits of trees. Their Queen's flesh was of bark and leaf, her hair of black vine, she strutted nude and unashamed towards her throne. A green snake twisted itself around her torso, dryad's could speak with animals and plants as equals. Then stormed in the King of the far north, he wore thick furs and armour inlayed with gold. He walked beside his brother, King of the moorland and protector of the seat of Kings. The palace they sat in belonged to him but he was a fair and just man, he always welcomed the council gladly into his home. He thankfully was a believer in peace above all else.

There was a pause as they awaited the rest of the council, the Kings and Queens sat in stony silence, avoiding glancing into each others faces for too long. Meetings like that were a dangerous business, one wrong word, one foul mood and their kingdoms could be plunged into the darkness of war. The faye King floated through the open doors, though he was no taller than ten centimetres he was not to be underestimated, the faye fought with unearthly rage and fierce magic.

Then came Queen of the open seas, an uncouth pirate ruler, she lounged in her throne and looked down her nose at the pomposity of the other rulers. She led a life of iron and salt, not of politics and gold. Yet she came when called, war would be the death of her freedom. The King of the wasteland was much alike the Queen of water in that sense however it was not freedom he coveted but lust. His harsh gaze fixated itself on the dryad Queen's naked form. She shrunk into herself as threatened women do, crossing her legs and folding her arms as a barrier against his leering. Then came Queen of the canyons, she exuded regality, dressed all in red velvet and solid gold. The legend surrounding that woman was rich and brutal, rumour had it that she rose to power through murder and guile. Those who got in her way tended to fall from the canyon tops sooner or later.

Lastly came the King of the mountain, Katherines ancient ancestor. He had all the traditional traits of the mountain, pallor and grace. His entrance was not met with peace, the King of Maequil jumped from his throne and lunged for the King of the mountain.

"You have no place here traitor." The desert King spat into the King of the mountain's face, he gripped him by the shirt, slamming him against one of the monoliths. The King of the mountain raised his hands, palms open, his face was blank but there was a chaotic delight in his eyes that led the King of Maequil to raise his fist in preparation for a punch.