28

The Queen of sunlight rose from her seat in the shade and stepped forth into the light. The jewels that adorned her glistened under the sun. Her fierce eyes and proud smile exuded regality, she commanded respect and adoration.

"So it is true, Katherine of the mountain is in my city, how far you have travelled." Thea's voice was thick and rich like lavender honey. Katherine and Lily curtsied lowly under the Queen's dark gaze.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Katherine pronounced the appropriate pleasantries with a slight nervous stutter.

"And yours my dear, now come you must have quite the story to tell, my ladies and I adore a story. Join me." They stood on the Queen's personal terrace, overlooking a vast expanse of flat desert, a sea of orange under a sky of crisp blue.

They joined Queen Thea under her silk gazebo, the Queen sat in a carved wooden chair while her ladies in waiting gathered around her on the floor. There were cushions and blankets piled high for their comfort. Golden trays of fruits and cold lemony water were set out, there were cards and books and embroidery. A young bard stood to the side and played such a beautiful melody on her lute.

"Ladies, this is my niece from the mountain and her handmaid. They have travelled all this way by themselves."

Queen Thea's ladies in waiting were a haven of diversity, her favourite was the elf. A painter disgraced from the elven city, she continued her practice under Thea's banners. There was a noble woman from every kingdom, the mountain lady recognised Katherine from the royal unveiling. The rarest of Thea's collection sat half in the sun, flora crawled up her legs, she was not weak to the sun like the others. Katherine and Lily had thought all the dryads extinct yet there she sat, alive.

"Yes please do, we barely ever leave the city." A teenage duchess from the meadows crooned.

So Katherine and Lily seated themselves at the Queens feet and slowly unravelled their tale of spirits, elves, and fairies. They spared no detail of Queen Isolde's cruelties and were met with gasps of astonishment and wonder from the brood. They tried to describe the occurrence at the seat of Kings but found themselves lost for words. How could they ever explain that. Katherine wondered if the elven artist might have some insight.

"How interesting that Saturn should visit you and show you what she has shown you." Agathe the eleven girl commented on the story, she seemed to be lost in deep consideration. "Did the goddess mention why?"

"To learn from the mistakes of my ancestors, she wants me to reforge the seat of kings."

"Well the timing is certainly right, you will need allies." Agathe's blonde hair lay straight down her back, she wore blue elven robes and green jewels.

"What is the seat of kings?" A princess from the deep north enquired, she was short and strong, her body was made to withstand the harshest winter and she felt weakened in the sun.

"The way Fayrith was once governed, in a parliament of kings. Fortitude, temperance, faith, charity, hope, justice and prudence." Agathe listed the seven pillars of the ancient council. "We had peace, for a while."

"It sounds lovely." The northern girl, like all others present, craved peace.

"Consider me an ally Katherine, I will play my part when you ask it of me." Queen Thea announced, she had long studied the harmony of unification. The diversity and tolerance of the city of sunlight owed much to the Queen's ideologies and Agathe's tender whispering. Together the King was their puppet.

"There is one problem you may be able to advice me on?" Katherine asked the Queen and she gestured for Katherine to continue speaking. "How do we rid ourselves of Isolde, I know she will not stop till she has complete power." Thea tapped her fingers on the wooden arm of her chair in thought, the sun was beginning to set and the sky glowed violent pink.