15

Katherine and Lily ran in the dark, trusting that their feet would find ground. The earth tunnel was long and winding, lit only by the occasional flame sconce. As they moved the thunderous hammering grew louder, more aggressive, it shook the tunnel; debris fell from the ceiling with each beat. As they got closer to the mine they could hear a humming, a deep sound, a choir of masculine voices were all singing in unison. Formless words, but with power, it was a song of deep earth.

The tunnel opened up into a bright cavern, Katherine and Lily were astounded by the sheer majesty of the place. They did not have the time to take it in, Josie had been adamant that they keep moving. The mine was vast and not underground at all, they had come out into a deep valley, there were a thousand stars above. The rocky walls of the gorge were adorned with fresh green trees and ferns, at the base of the canyon were diamonds and vapours. Six foot crystals jutted from the rock, miners stood all around the perimeter of the valley and hammered at the walls. They broke off chunks of crystal and filled wheelbarrows with it. From the walls seeped a slightly visible vapour, a soft white colour, it swilled around the miner's heads, intoxicating them. The miners did not look up from their work to notice the mountain women, their minds were too floating and abstract to hear them pass by.

It did not take long for Josie's absence to be noticed by a fellow handmaiden, Cynthia, the Queen's right hand woman and only companion went to investigate. Lady Cynthia climbed the turret where the ladies of the mountain were kept, the stairwell was eerily quiet, there were no sounds of footsteps from above. In many respects Cynthia was worse than the Queen, Isolde's madness was born of horror and trauma, it was no excuse for her heinous actions but an explanation at least. Cynthia had no marked past, no great terror eating at her mind, she simply took delight in cruelty. It made her feel powerful. The door to the chambers were locked but Cynthia had a key, she was shocked upon entry. The room was of course empty, Cynthia took a turn about the room, searching for some indication of how they had escaped. She approached the balcony and looked over the edge, then she saw the harrowing sight of Josie's contorted body. Josie had been impaled by the iron spike at the top of a small turret, she lay face up, her expression was strange. She looked as if she had been frozen mid laughter.

"Pity." Cynthia spoke, turning from the room and marching down towards the barracks. She knew where the mountain women had gone now, Josie had tried to escape once through the mines before getting hooked on the dragon. The guards had chased her down and force-fed her the drug until she was drooling and begging for more. Cynthia had overseen the whole fiasco.

When Cynthia thundered into the barracks the knights stood to attention, they had been resting after the battle and drinking away their wounds.

"Two women are escaping through the mines, bring them to me. Do not fail." Cynthia pointed to four knights that still had their armour and swords to hand. They rushed from the room towards the mines which were not far away, "As you were gentlemen." Cynthia exited the barracks and began the long climb up to the Queen's chambers. Her movements were deliberate, she held her head high, expecting praise from Isolde for her quick actions. Cynthia moved as quickly as her legs allowed, without breaking into a run, she had faith that the knights would haul Katherine and Lily before the Queen; they knew the mines better than anyone. Cynthia finally reached the doorway to Isolde's boudoir where the Queen sat and drew the views from her window. She took a deep breath and knocked.

"Enter." The icy voice of Isolde cut through the air, she kept her eyes on the rocky valley as Cynthia entered. "What is it?"

"Katherine and Lily have escaped your majesty..." Cynthia's explanation was cut off by Isolde's screeching.

"What!" Queen Isolde rose from her chair and struck Cynthia across the cheek, her diamond ringed fingers drew blood. "How dare you allow this to happen." Isolde towered over Cynthia, her gaze was deeply intimidating. Cynthia stuttered...