Alduin

The first thing Rayara did when she got back to Skyhold was head straight up to her tower and collapsed onto her bed. It never ended. Whenever she and the Inquisition managed to fix something, the very next second, something else broke. Crestwood's taken care off, some scouts go missing in the Fallow Mire. She finds her missing men, and fade rifts just pop into existence all around the area spewing out demons. She spends days closing the fade rifts and killing demons, as well as fighting more undead (Andraste knows she didn't get enough of that in Crestwood) and when things finally calmed back down in that area, Rayara was handed a report telling her that the Exalted Plains was in the shit as well.

Celene and Gaspard's forces at odds with each other. Elven rebels harassing both sides. Maker-damned bandits called Freemen harassing everyone else, and to top it off, more undead. Plenty more in fact. If the numbers she had read on her way to Skyhold were accurate, they'd taken advantage of the war between the Grand Duke and Empress and had become the biggest threat in the area. If she didn't count the fade rifts and the endless supply of demons they coughed out.

She groaned and put her hand that held the Anchor in front of her face. It felt numb, like an overworked muscle. Maybe she'd take a break for a few days. Just walk around Skyhold, talk to her soldiers, her advisors, and act like the world hadn't fallen to pieces for a little while.

"Inquisitor?"

The sound of her spymaster's voice was proof that her idea was laughable. "Good news?" Rayara groaned.

"Depends on what you mean."

"How about something that lets me stay out of the field for a few days?" Rayra asked, leaning up from her bead. "Something like that would be good news."

"Then it's not good news," Leliana replied, walking up the stairs to her room and smiling back at a tired glare from Rayara. "A letter came for you today."

"Has the rest of the world agreed to name me Empress?" Rayara asked.

"You'd have to read it," Leliana said.

"Like you haven't already." Rayara grabbed the letter and unfolded it.

"There's a new player in the field," Leliana said, crossing her arms. "One that rides dragons."

Knowing her answer was far too cryptic to reply too, Rayara read the letter.

"Inquisitor,

You're a busy woman so I'll get to the point. Your presence is requested at the Exalted Plains. A warlord named Alduin has been flying around all over the place on the back of a Gamordan Stormrider for the last few weeks, eliminating any undead he comes across and clearing the way for my scouts to contact the forts under Celene and Gaspard. He's requested an audience with you in the Plains and seeing as how I didn't like the idea of having to shoot down a dragon myself I thought I should inform you. We've only met a few times but I feel like you know I wouldn't waste your time with this matter.

P.S. I'm almost a hundred percent certain he has something to do with Hardvak but if it's above my pay grade, I won't press the subject.

See you when you get here,

Lace Harding, Scout Regiment."

Leliana noticed the Inquisitor's posture straighten when she read the name of the Nord and asked. "Does his name qualify as good news or bad news?" She asked.

Rayara folded the letter back up and chuckled. "Not sure yet. I'll have to head to Orlais and ask him." She stood back up from her bed and rubbed her neck. "You heard what Allistair told us in Crestwood?"