Chapter 33 // Conversations

6600+ words!

(Natsu's POV)

"Hey, let's talk outside for a minute." Dad touched my shoulder. We were still at the restaurant celebrating my verdict. Mostly everyone was already done with their food, they were just chatting it up with each other.

"Okay," I nod. I turn to Lucy, and my daughter. "I'll be right back." Lucy smiles as she nods. I scoot out of my chair and follow my father outside. He hands me an open beer bottle, and I take it.

"I never thought I'd ever drink beer with my son," Dad scoffs, taking a swig of beer and turns to me. "But I really want to tell you the truth."

"Dad... You don't have to. It's really—"

"I want to." Dad repeats.

I exhale. "Okay." I nod. "Tell me everything." Dad takes a seat on the bench, and I sit next to him. He told me everything. How he was forced to join the kidnapping ring, how he found out about Lucy, how he tried saving Leah, how he saved Lucy the night she ran in the rain, how he gave Leah a home, how he helped me get to Lucy's house when I was injured, how he managed to help Lucy and I find out about Leah, how he didn't know Viktor was the new leader, and how Dad got me. Out of all of that information, I could only focus on that last thing.

"So... I was a victim too?" I clenched my beer bottle. "And you saved me?"

"Yes. That's how I adopted you, Natsu." I always knew that Igneel wasn't my real father, but knowing the reason behind it, it makes me love him more than ever.

I set down my beer bottle and wrap my arms around him. "Thank you, Dad. I love you."

"I love you too, son." Igneel pats my back. Once we break the hug, we take more sips of beer. "Anyway, you're a free man now. I was thinking you'd like to be with Lucy on your first night back, sooo.... I can babysit Leah in the meantime."

I almost spit out my beer. "W-What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean." Dad nudges me with his elbow, smirking. "I could give you money for a hotel—"

"Dad!" I blush. "But... you really would do that for me?"

"Of course!" Dad chuckles. "Y'know, I saw those hickeys on Lucy that one night. I didn't know Atlas raised you like that." I cover my face as I heat up in embarrassment.

"Oh my Mavis, Dad—" I pause. "How did you know those were from me?"

"There's nobody in this world that belongs to Lucy, but you." Dad wraps his arm around my shoulder. "I better see you walk down that aisle before you graduate."

"Isn't that too quick? I mean... I was planning to propose when we graduate in two years..." I murmur that last part.

"The only reason you guys took it slow was because Leah was presumed dead and wasn't in the picture. Now that she's in your household, I thought you'd love to have Lucy bear the Dragneel name as soon as possible. But it's all up to you. Just do whatever feels right." I nod.

"You're right. Maybe I can talk to Lucy about it tonight." I look at my dad, and wink. "Could you babysit Leah?" Igneel chuckles, and pats my back.

"Of course."

Once the restaurant gets close to its closing hours, people start to leave. As Dad keeps Leah company, I take my girlfriend's hand as I pull her away from our daughter.

"What's up?" She asks.

"Dad wants to babysit Leah tonight." I scratch the back of my neck. "And I was thinking we could maybe... talk? Somewhere private."