Chapter 12 // Bonding

(Natsu's POV)

As I was walking home, I spot the familiar little girl. By the looks of it she was on her way home.

"Leah? What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Oh, Natsu!" Leah ran and hugged my legs. "It's been a while."

I squat until I reach her height. "You weren't worried that I might have left you behind?"

"Not at all," Leah shook her head, smiling,"You promised me that you will always protect me. I know you will keep that promise, so I have nothing to worry about."

I gently pat her head. "My dad disappeared on me, and I won't be like him. So I will never leave you behind. You're kinda like my daughter, in some way."

"I wish you were my real dad," Leah sighs.

"Don't worry Leah, I'm sure you'll find your real parents soon. But are you hungry? I don't want you to starve."

"I can eat," Leah nods, patting her tummy. I noticed she's gained more weight since I first met her, and that's good. I stand up, holding out my hand. She places her tiny hand over mine. And I walk her to a hotdog stand. I buy her a hotdog and she happily eats it as I walk her near Skid Row.

"It's getting late already, I hope your folks won't notice you're gone for this long..." I look at my phone for the time. Leah said she uses the school as an excuse to be out, but the school has been out a few hours ago.

"It's okay. I will tell them I was playing with James."

"Who's James?" I give her a look.

"My new friend. He's one year older than me, and he's very nice."

I cross my arms,"Hmm... he better stay a friend."

"What do you mean??" Leah asks.

"Nothing," I fake a smile,"Maybe when you're older."

"Okay....?" Leah makes a confused face. Heh, weird. She looked like Lucy for a second, maybe it's the blonde hair? We reach the point before Skid Row starts.

"Well, I hope James won't bully you."

"He won't."

"Leah! Leah!" We heard a young boy's voice. I look behind her and see a black haired boy running to Leah.

"James, what are you doing outside Skid Row?" Leah turns to him.

"My mom had to buy something, and I'm going with her," James smiles. I see his mom walk up and hold James' hand. She had black hair as well, and she looks quite young for a mom.

"This is Natsu," Leah introduces me to James. And James introduces his mom. I give a little wave.

"Hi."

"Leah, it's nice seeing you so... clean! I'm glad," James' mom smiles, and turns to me,"Her parents don't take care of her at all. And it's sad seeing her around our neighborhood with the same dirty clothes everyday."

"Oh, I know," I sigh,"Does everyone in the neighborhood know?" I ask. She nods. "So why hasn't anyone done anything at all?"

"Either they don't care or they're scared to do anything. I wouldn't want to get on Viktor's bad side either. His brother is the landlord here, and one word from Viktor, we can just vanish like nothing happened," she shakes her head. "I would call social services, but... James likes hanging out with Leah."

"Speaking of James..."

"Ah, I got pregnant in my first year of high school. Parents didn't accept it, so of course I got kicked out. My boyfriend and I found a cheap house here so we bought it."