Chapter 17 // Group Date

•••The next day

(3rd person / Normal POV)

After everyone's morning routine, Lucy takes Leah to her dorm.

"I told Ig- the I guy, that you wanted to talk to him," Leah almost said his real name.

"Oh? What'd he say?" Lucy sits down on the couch.

"Well he can't talk to you in person. But if you want to talk to him," Leah takes out her walkie talkie. "Here."

"I can talk to him right now?" Lucy takes the walkie talkie, feeling relieved that she didn't have to secretly take it from Leah.

"If you wanna. Just press that button."

"Okay." Lucy looks at Leah,"Is it okay if I talk to him alone?"

"Oh yeah." Leah leaves the living room and goes to the kitchen to find food to eat. Lucy takes a deep breath and presses a button.

"H-hello? This is Lucy," Lucy nervously says into the speaker.

"Ah, yes." Igneel's deep voice responds,"You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah... I just- wanted to thank you for helping me that one night. But I'm still a little confused about everything that happened and I need answers."

"I won't be able to tell you much, but go ahead. Shoot."

"Well, for starters, who exactly are you? Like, why did you help me? What does your note even mean?"

"I can't tell you who I am. I helped you because... I felt bad. I committed plenty of crimes in the past and I just wanted to make up for it."

"You could've chosen any other citizen here. But your note sounded so personal, I'm still so confused." Igneel was just repeating what he wrote on the note, it wasn't answering Lucy's questions at all.

"Let's just say I know a thing or two about you. About Nadine." Well, he did see Lucy crying at Nadine's grave.

"What kind of crimes did you do exactly?"

"I can't say." Lucy started to think that this conversation was a waste of time, since she isn't getting the answers she wanted.

"Well, at least you're being a better person now. I'm glad that you were able to provide Leah with a proper lifestyle."

"Yeah. Don't worry about it! Leah's protected. Is that all you wanted to say to me?"

"Oh! I just remembered, how did you unlock my phone? And how were you able to convince my professors that I had serious family issues?"

"Well, I figured I'd try Nadine's birthday and it worked. But I've written so many emails in my life, and I know how to convince people."

"That makes sense..." He must have good memory or something. "Well, that's all. Thank you for your time."

"No problem." Lucy released the button, taking a deep sigh. The walkie talkie then gave a static sound.

"Before I go, I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry about Nadine."

Lucy didn't respond. She called Leah over and handed back her walkie talkie.

"How was it? Did he answer your questions?" Leah asked.

"Not exactly... but I guess it's better that I don't know."
~~~~~

•••A few weeks later

With university finally assigning more work for their students, Natsu and Lucy were too busy to plan another date. The whole group set up a big study session in a cafe. Once they finally finished most of their work, they took a break.