Kitchen

I slow down as I finally reach the kitchen. When I walk into the large room, Walter looks up at me from his spot at the stove and smiles. 

I walk up to him and take a small whiff of whatever is in the pot. 

"Hey, Clementine. Wanna help me prepare a little dinner?" he asks with a kind tone. It's sort of frightening how nice this man is.

I smile and nod back at him.

He take a large wooden spoon and begins stirring the mystery meal. It smells sweet, yet sort of foul.

"How do you know Kenny?" he asks me. I close my eyes for a few seconds, remembering all Kenny and I have been through. 

"We're old friends. I met him after.. it happened."

He nods slightly. "Back when he was with Lee? Yeah, he only told us a little."

I look away, picturing Lee comforting Kenny after the death of his son. Walt looks at me with sympathy and I could feel his pity go through me.

He puts the wooden spoon down beside the stove. 

"Connecting with people is so important." he says. I nod in agreement. "I don't know what I would do without Matthew."

Who even is Matthew?

I hold onto my arms as I look around the large kitchen. Christmas lights are hung and I admire the beauty of the music in the background.

"Want to do me the honors of tasting the first course, madam?" Walter asked me, dipping the spoon into the pot and scooping some up.

I peer over into the pot and raise an eyebrow slowly. Whatever was in the pot didn't look exactly appetizing, but I was starving.  

"What is that stuff..?" I asked slowly. Walter chuckled at my question.

"An autumnal legume salad with a peace roux." Walter replied, trying to sound professional. 

I still had no idea what he was talking about.

Finally, Walter gave me a clear answer. "Peaches and beans. It's all we got."

What a wonderful combination.

"Well, it's done. I'll get back to you later, Clementine." Walter said. I looked around, wondering to do next.

I walked towards the stereo that was currently playing an orchestral version of Jingle Bells. I kneel down in front of it and smile. A CD is sitting beside it. 

I try to make out what is written on the front of it, but it's written with old marker so it's blurred and faded.

I press a button and the Christmas music CD popped out. I gently place it where the other CD was and put the Sharpie covered CD in the radio. 

I hear a crowd applaud and then some guitar. I stand back up and walk towards what seemed to be the dining area.

"Reminds me of school," I mutter to myself.

The old tables look like the ones I had in my cafeteria in junior high. I sigh, remembering the memories I had with my friends and family.

Bowls and plates are stacked in the centers of the lunch benches.

I walk past them and towards the currently lit up Christmas tree. Sarita and Sarah are hanging up ornaments while Sarita is singing softly.

It reminded me of better times.

I heard them discuss the subject of tree toppers and some song Sarita was singing.

Everything felt alright for a moment.

Until I walked upstairs to find Carlos and Alvin converse about leaving in the morning.

(SORRY FOR THE REALLY SHORT CHAPTER, GUYS. I KNOW I NEEDED TO UPDATE AND STUFF BUT I GOT SUSPENDED FROM SCHOOL YESTERDAY SO THE STORY WILL BE PUT ON HOLD UNTIL I ACTUALLY FIND THE TIME TO WRITE AND NOT DEAL WITH WHATS GOING ON RIGHT NOW.)