Bedtime

Luke stares at me, his eyes glowing from the reflection of the moon. He is so beautiful. The way he looked at this moment in time.. It made me want to touch every corner, every crevice, on his perfect face. 

Without a word, he grabbed me and pulled me close to him. I wrap my arms around him, embracing him. God, how I love him. Never in my life would I imagine I would ever feel the feeling of comfort again.. I guess I was dead wrong.

The amount of time I was pressed against his warm, cozy body seemed like forever; but it was only just a few minutes. His fingers lingered to my hair and he made an attempt to run them through it, but it hasn't been brushed since all of this started, so it was filled with knots, dirt, and zombie guts. Totally appetizing.

"Ever hear of a comb, Clem?" Luke joked. I rolled my eyes as I pulled back slightly. I blushed as the smirk on his face grew into a content smile. He rustled the top of my head with his hand, probably getting it caked in grease in the process. I haven't exactly had a shower, either. I giggled. At least my hair is thick, or else it would have been extremely stringy and more revolting than it is now. 

"You do know they have showers here, right? You don't exactly.." He stopped speaking, probably because the look I was giving him. "Never mind." 

"You're a smart boy," I chuckled, kissing his cheek softly. His skin tasted like smoke, and even though normally the taste would be disgusting, I welcomed the taste onto my lips and smiled. His small beard that he was trying to keep from growing scratched my lips as I kissed his cheek once again, but a few moments longer.

Slowly caressing the back of my neck, Luke whispers. "You sure are affectionate tonight." My body shivers and I can feel goosebumps rising on my skin from the touch of his fingernails on my flesh. 

He raises an eyebrow in concern, looking down at me. "You alright?" he asks, and I respond with a small nod and a reassuring smile. "I'm just.. Not used to affection anymore. Ever since Lee.." I looked down, silently cursing myself for saying his name. "I've never been given hugs or anything.. Still something to get used to, I guess." I confessed. Luke's eyes saddened as my mouth let out those depressing choice of words. "Aw, Clem, I'm sorry. I can stop lovin' on you if you want."

My eyes widen as I glare at him. "No!" He jumps back a little as I shout, and then I hunker down, remembering to keep quiet. "No." I say again, but this time in a whisper. Chuckling, he pulls me into his chest again and sighs happily.

"I love you, Clem." he whispers into my ear, and I blush. I'm not ready to say it out loud. After a few moments of silence, I mutter "I know." I really hope I didn't hurt him. He knows I love him. Everybody knows I love him. I just don't have the guts to say it out loud. 

He plants a soft kiss on my forehead and I look up at him with a goofy grin. 

He softens his grip on my small body and then pulls back, looking over at the large window. The moon is full tonight.

I walk over to the window, pulling back the silky curtains slightly. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Mhmm," Luke agrees. He walks behind me and wraps his arms around my waste, pulling me closer to him. He rests his scratchy chin on my head. I can feel the muscles in his face moving, as if he were smiling. "Not as beautiful as you, though, Clementine." 

I feel my face heat up as he calls me attractive, and I half smile. "You sure are a charmer, you know that?"

Luke laughs softly, squeezing my starved waste. I feel him shrug behind me, a grin spreading on his face. "I've been told I am one a time or two," 

I get a little jealous as he says that, and the thought of him acting 'charming' towards other girls bothers me. I mean, I guess he is my boyfriend, so I have the right to get jealous. 

"You know.." I say quietly. "Ever since we've arrived here at the lodge, it's been hard to see the world how it is now. It doesn't seem like it's in ruins, you know? It's flawless here."

I feel him move the hair off of my neck, and he kisses it gently. I shiver again. 

His warm lips on my cold neck make me bite my lip, and I stare off into the horizon of pine trees accompanied by the wind turbine.

I guess he hears my breathing as it becomes heavier and he pulls his head back, my hair falling back onto my neck, my split ends tickling me.

"Well, it's getting pretty late.." he says, walking over to the bed. 

I nod in agreement and follow him. I crawl on top of the bed, scared to sleep under the covers. I don't want to feel roaches and spiders crawling on my feet tonight. 

He shuffles to the other side of the bed and looks at me. I trace my fingers over the simple floral print quilt, kind of surprised to see a nice looking bed. The only thing remotely close to comfortable bedding was at the cabin, but that wasn't even that comfortable.

I finally place my head on the pillow, letting out a sigh of relief as I feel by body relax. My aching legs stretch out, and I can hear some of my joints popping. Luke makes his way next to me on the bed, smiling at me.

"Goodnight, Clementine." he whispers, kissing my nose softly.

I close my eyes, almost immediately falling asleep afterwards. I felt truly at peace with the world for what seemed like the first time in a long time.