𝟏𝟏 | 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆

MANHATTAN, NY
"NEW YORK UNIVERSITY"

          THE FOLLOWING MORNING ARRIVED fairly quickly than what Boogie was expecting, perhaps because of the three-hour time difference. She twirled her phone between her fingers in anxiousness, looking over her shoulders every five minutes. Here she was— alone after all else failed. Boogie was nearly 2,800 miles away from the only home she's ever known and she grew queasier by the minute, not only because she was eight weeks pregnant but because she missed everything she's left behind.

This was not how she imagined her college experience to begin. She was sad, not happy. She wasn't excited, she was depressed and half of her was still lost in Los Angeles. She accompanied one of the many hard plastic chairs that were aligned perfectly in multiple rows behind her. The Residential Life and Housing Services office was empty, with the exception of the student employees and other faculty members. Boogie's phone vibrated nonstop with calls, text messages, and voicemails and she ignored them all.

An entrance side door near the secretary's desk swiftly opened, revealing a modernized woman with the most beautiful dark-tone complexion the average person has ever seen. Her short, bob-styled hair was sleek as it was pushed neatly behind her ear, allowing visibility of her pearl-studded earring. The middle-aged woman was clothed professionally in a navy blue flared dress that stopped above her knees, displaying her every curve. Her white, patented stilettos complimented the polka dots on her dress to perfection.

She smiled, "You must be Lauren!"

"I'd like to think so." said Boogie adjusting herself to stand, grabbing hold of her luggage. "I've been expecting you. Please, follow me this way to my office." the woman spoke.

The woman continued to politely stand at the door with tan filing folder while Boogie approached her with an unenthused handshake. With Boogie being successfully within the hallway, the woman closed the door behind themselves as she continued to verbally direct Boogie to her office. The two merely entered in unison with the woman taking her usual seating behind her executive desk— Boogie lacked interest in sitting in another uncomfortable chair. One was enough.

After finally looking up from the file she kept so close knitted to her, the woman smiled. "Those chairs out front aren't the best, I know." She continued, "All of my chairs here are five star rated, so please." she gestured her hand at the two unoccupied chairs for Boogie to choose.

Boogie hesitantly did just that. As quiet profoundly surfaces the room, she found herself gazing at the several framed certifications and degrees that hung upon the wall behind the woman.

Harper S. Grant, the degree of Doctor of Medicine. She thought to herself.

"Degree in medicine, Dr. Grant. I see." said Boogie, abrupt and nonchalant.

Dr. Grant removed her stare from the file and immediately to her degree that constantly stood out the most. She smiled, "Yes, degree in medicine. Probably one of my biggest accomplishments..." she trailed off, chuckling.

"Oh, and please, call me Harper."

Boogie kept quiet, mentally acknowledging Dr. Grant's previous statement.

"Well, let me just start by welcoming you to New York University and congratulations on your scholarship! I know you've travelled quite a distance, so I'm not going to bombard you with everything today." Dr. Grant displayed a closed-mouth smile.