Chapter 2

Shaking slightly she walked inside the boat-shed and fought the urge to run over and kiss him as she saw him sitting in the chair talking to Kensi about their miraculous escape from the doomed sub.

She took the first aid kit out and after checking out Sam, she proceeded to do the same to Callen.

She noted with a small smile that he had the piece of the red ribbon bracelet they had both been given sticking out of his jeans pocket. She still had hers too, unwilling to part with it.

Her hand shook slightly as she checked his eyes for signs of concussion, "Well you both seem to be ok." She told them holding her now mounting anger in check.

Callen shot her a confused look as her hand tightened on his shoulder for an instant, but his musings were interrupted by Deeks bringing in drinks and them all drinking to the conclusion of a job well done.

Nell raised her glass along with everyone else, but did not drink. As soon as she could, she placed her drink down and walked outside the boat-shed while the others celebrated.

Callen followed, slipping out as Deeks came out with another joke about Sam being in a submarine. He walked along the pier to see Nell staring out to see.

"Nell? You ok?" he asked.

She shook her head but said nothing.

He walked over and put a hand on her shoulder, only then did he realize she was crying, he turned her around and held her close, "It's ok Nell, we're all ok." He said rubbing his hand soothingly on her back.

"I know….but….I thought you were dead…" she sobbed.

He moved her to arms length, "Look at me Nell, I'm not dead, Sam's not dead we are both fine." He said looking in her eyes, "Nell…"

"I know you're not dead!" she snapped, "But you could have been, you didn't even know…you don't care…you don't think about who would be affected if you died!"

Callen stepped back at her sudden anger, "Who would be affected Nell? Sure you guys would be sad, but you'd go on with your own lives, I had to save Sam, I had to flood the sub, he needed to make it out of there."

"SAM!" Nell shoved Callen so hard he nearly fell. "Sam? What about you?" she snapped.

"What about me, I don't have a family, I just have you guys, he has a wife and child." Callen shook his head, sure, the team would miss him for a while, but not like Sam's daughter would, growing up without a father.

"What about your child!" Nell snapped tears rolling down her face.

"I don't have kids Nell, you know that." Callen was wondering what was eating her.

Nell walked to the end of the pier, staring at the lights going on, in yachts all over the marina as night fell.

"Nell?" Callen said again.

Nell turned and stared at him her anger coming on in full force, "You don't know do you? You don't remember?!" she asked her anger turning to fury.

Callen turned her around and looked at her, "What don't I remember?" he asked his voice calm.

"Halloween, we did absinthe shots, and we had dinner at that little restaurant, Nadia's…we had coffee and then…then…"

Callen looked down as he remembered, "I do remember…" he said softly, "But what does that have to do with today?" he asked.

"Urgh!" she exclaimed, "It has everything to do with today…Sam's kid wouldn't have been the only one without a father." She said straightening up and looking at him.