Chapter 20

Laura hurried home. She'd just have to do her afternoon classes at home- later. She made it to the house and put her things away before doing light housework.

The doorbell rang just as she was finishing so she put away the duster and went to answer the door.

She tidied herself then opened the door. "Hello."

"Hello, Laura." Xhi-Xhi kissed her cheeks.

Laura bowed quickly. "Welcome, Grandmother."

"And me!" Gertrude Chang popped up and hugged Laura.

"Mamma?!" Laura wondered how this was going to go.

"Hello, Laura." Bernadette St. James walked through the door with her current assistant, Alicia.

"Bernie?" Laura was totally confused.

A troop of women came in after along with a few men.

"Grandmother, what's going on?"

"These are the best of the best." Xhi-Xhi took off her sunglasses and looked around, inspecting for dirt.

"We're going to find you staff in no time." Gertie said in Japanese.

"Take off your shoes." Xhi-Xhi commanded of the applicants.

They started taking off their shoes and boots.

"Where can we store them?"

"Uh... the kitchen is fine." Laura knew not to get in her grandmother's way.

"Go find the kitchen." Xhi-Xhi waved a hand.

The group trotted out.

"Where can we go?"

"The living room." Laura told her.

"Come." Xhi-Xhi had her shoes off and made Laura take them to the living room. She eyed the room critically. "It looks lived in."

"This is all our old furniture."

"Hmm." Xhi-Xhi could tell. Nothing matched.

Gertie sat Laura down. "How my babies?" She asked in English.

"We're fine, Mamma." Laura told her. "We're doing fine."

"Marceline Anne?"

Laura wondered why she picked her out of everyone to comment on first. "She's fine."

"She touched. Not fine."

Laura's eyes widened. "Did Grandfather and Granddad tell you that?!"

"Pappa did. They told him." She shook her head.

Laura could scream. She knew how hard it was for Marcy to tell her! She (Marcy) wouldn't like for everyone to know! "Why?!"

"Family problem. Take care soon."

"Mamma, that was private! Does everyone know?!"

"Nonsense." Xhi-Xhi finally sat down. "Like Gertie said, it's a family problem. We'll take care of it as a family."

"Marcy's not going to be happy."

"She's never happy." Xhi-Xhi didn't care.

Laura did. She had to tell Marcy before someone said something to her. "Can you tell me why you're here? Although I love seeing you, Bernie."

Bernie smiled. "It's about your careers, darling. You're much closer to New York now and you can do shows there and get more shoots. It'll be great."