The Enemy.

Hey, my lovely readers out there! As you can see, I'm UPDATING! This whole story thing is just starting, so flow with me! Thanks for commenting, voting, or even READING my last chapters. I'm aware that it's not as good as other great stories out there, but I'm tryng! :) I would totally appreciate it if you vote or comment, just so I know if a) you like it or b) you love it. Haha! ;) So... I'll stop now so you can READ!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cath's POV

I am so glad Nish got me away from her. Ree may be sort of nice, but her motives can be a tiny bit irrational. I know the real reason she idolises me like crazy. It has nothing to do with why I want to be an RM. All she wants: attention. I don't really like saying this, but she's nuts. Bonkers. Completely loony.

Nish is whisper-yelling, saying how stupid I am for going over to Ree when I did. I must admit, I feel pretty stupid doing that as well. Nish and I go over to where Ally and Christy are standing, I wave to them until I see...

That guy.

He is obnoxious but funny, admirable but jerky, talented but snobby. There is only one guy who fits my description. Nedwine Langston. My only competition, who happens to be the Male Role Model of Tarson Academy. The problem is, he is sort of mean sometimes.

I mean, sure he can be kind and helpful, watching out for the juniors and being responsible for a lot of TA events. But he can also be annoying and cold-hearted. To me, at least. I used to think he does that because I said something to piss him off, but I could never be sure.

Until recently.

Apparently, he doesn't like me because he finds me daunting. He used to be sweet and friendly towards me, but since I changed myself, he started to avoid me. He was and is still the RM for Tarson Academy. And I think he doesn't like the fact that the girl he used to hang out with is all perfect and princess-like now. Christy's words, not mine.

You know what? Maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe I'm not capable of changing how the school works. I start to say this to Nish before remembering that Ned is still there. Talking. With my friends. I wipe all the emotions clear off my face and put on a calm facade instead. I practise this all the time because my RM coach says we cannot show others we're flustered if something goes wrong.

Which is totally the case here. Something is wrong. And the thing is Ned.

I can't forbid Ned to talk to my friends, no matter how much I want to. He has every right to talk to whoever he wants. I can only wish he doesn't want to. He is super unfriendly to me, but he still hangs around my friends when I'm not with them. I wonder why.

As we walk towards them, he glances at me and locks eyes with me for a while, I take the opportunity to send him as much of my hurt as I can, just to get rid of it. Never seem to go away though, the hurt. I look away and turn to Nish instead. She and I exchange a look of exasperation and turn towards the rest of our circle. Keep calm, Cathy. You don't need to torture yourself. Just say hi to him, brace for his surliness and continue with your life. Simple.

Looking at him, I give a half-hearted wave and a tiny smile. Before he can react, I call to Ally and Christy and Nish asks if they want to grab a bite in the canteen before heading home. The room is begining to thin out already and I am eager to tell my parents about the RMA, now safely in my purse, along with the certificate and a brand new phone, a Quilta Hologram, the latest model. Now I can pretend my friends are really there when I call them! Yay!

Both of them agree to come with us. Christy turns to Ned, nods once and comes towards us, grinning happily. Christy exchanges a few words with him before heading toward us, a faint smile on her lips. "What's up, you guys?" Nish asks, curious. They just shrug, the nerves.

Anyway, no time to be suspicious, I need food! I walk ahead and they just quietly follow me. Ally walks up to my side and asks me, "Hey Cath, you're not mad, are you?" I look at her, surprised. "No, why would I be?" She looks down at her feet sheepishly.

Oh. I should be mad at them for talking to Ned.

The only thing is, I'm not. I don't know why, but I'm not mad that they are still friends with the guy who's supposedly my arch enemy. I smile at Ally. "Nah, I'm not mad. He's your friend, I can't prevent you from befriending snobby guys, no matter how much I want to, right?" She smirks, "he's not that bad, actually." I pooh-pooh at that. "Please, I will believe that when he stops thinking up different ways to torture me in his head."

When we reach the first stand, I buy a huge sandwich and walk over to the drinks section. Hmm... Strawberry milk, no. Melon milk, no. I move to my right as I reject each beverage. Apple jui- I bump into some dude. "Sorry." I say absentmindedly. "S'okay," a familiar voice mutters. I look to my right cautiously.

And there, in full view, stands the angelic devil himself. I don't bother talking to him, knowing he'll just say something that will lower my self-esteem. I take a step to my left and bring my attention back to my mid-lunch crisis. What to drink, what to drink... Frustrated, I order a cup of sweet tea and wait for the drink.

I feel Ned looking at me intently and I meet his eyes. "What are you still doing here?" My voice comes out really icy. Wow, I am so not nice right now. He looks taken aback, but quickly hides it by fiddling with the straw box on the counter beside him. "I want to... You know, congratulate you on getting the RMA. So um... Congrats." He sticks his hand out for me to shake.

I stare at his hand, only a few inches away from me. Slowly, I reach out, curl my tiny fingers around his and give it a light shake. "Um... Thanks, I guess." I smile a bit at him before taking my sweet tea, paying the cashier and walking towards my table. Leaving him staring at my back, dumbfounded.

Christy, Nish and Ally and three other guys sit around the purple and white round table. Purple and white happen to be the theme colours of TA. Our uniforms are the same. For girls, white 1-inch hairbands, white short-sleeve button-down, purple coat, purple-and-white neckties, red and brown plaid skirts, white knee sock and the Tarson Academy purple sneakers. Oh, don't forget the purple and white wristbands. For guys, like girls, they have white button-downs, purple blazers, purple-and-white neckties, purple and white wristbands and the sneakers. The only real difference is the long brown pants.

I take off my coat and hang it at the back of my chair before sitting down. Looking around, I smile as I take in the people sitting with us.

Today, besides my three girls, Cole Crombell, who is my twin brother, Ashton Clozvon, Cole's best friend and Maxwell 'Max' Weild, Christy's boyfriend, sit at the table, enjoying whatever they are having. After greeting them, I sit between my twin and Ally. Unwrapping my sandwich, I take a bite of it and drink my tea. Chatting with everyone while we finish our lunch. 

We're halfway through our meal when Ree comes along and stands behind me. She is oblivious to our stares as she announces that she needs to talk to me right away. Reluctantly, I set down my half-eaten sandwich and take a sip of my tea before getting up, excusing myself.

As I walk towards the exit, I look back at them and send a look that says, if I'm not back in 10 minutes, call the police and follow my scent. They seem to understand as they nod. Satisfied for doing the "Safety comes first" thing right, I walk out of the door, aware that every single person in that room is staring at me as I walk ahead of Ree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's short. But I'm having my final term examination soon. So, tell you what, I'm going to post the next chapter after the exam and, get this, MAKE IT REAL LONG! Like 3 pages this time.  XD How bout that? :D Now, I'm off to do my revision. Wish me luck!