Chapter 14:

Please read A/N at the end. 

The song for this chapter is also a Norwegian one, but I think it fits really well. 

Chapter 14:

Conner’s POV

Being a beaten up Alpha was even worse than being a regular one. Every step I took hurt as hell, and I almost felt grateful for the (extremely awkward) office my father had left me. Now I could sit behind a desk and be in pain, instead of walking around in pain.

Will had actually done a pretty good job as Beta while I was gone, which probably meant I had done the right choice when I had named him Beta. His father had had lower rank in the pack, but Will was a great fighter and leader, so I had named him for the task. Not everything is about blood, after all.

“Will?” I asked, using the mind link. I had grown better and better at it. Before I became Alpha I had always needed to concentrate, but now it was even simpler than to talk normally. Especially considering that you didn’t need to be in the same room, or even the same building, to use the mind link.

“Yes, Alpha?”

I flinched a bit, taken aback by his words. I would never get used to that title.

“My name is Conner, you idiot,” I answered him, almost annoyed. “And you need to call a pack meeting!”

“When?”

I considered it. The decision about calling a pack meeting had been made on an impulse, and I hadn’t really thought about the details.

“What about an hour from now? Then I’ll get time to look through these incredible boring documents first.”

“Ay, ay Captain!”

I rolled my eyes, before I realized that he couldn’t see it through the mind link. Stupid beta.

Going through my dad’s documents was just as boring as I had suspected. The worst part was how impersonal it all was. Everything was professional done, so it didn’t really make me feel connected to him in any way.

I still felt a little sting in my heart every time I came over something that had to do with me or my mom, though. My birth certificate and stuff like that. I just hoped he had filled it out with pride.

Nothing was really interesting, though. At least no until…

“Val?” I asked. Didn’t even realize how panicked my voice sounded.

Nothing. It was silent as the grave.

“VAL?”

“Dude, I’m sleeping,” Val finally answered. She sounded utterly annoyed. “I thought you promised me to not wake me up with that stupid mind ting!”

“Sorry. Just… please get into my office,”

Five minutes later a sleepy and irritated Val walked into my office, dressed in her pajamas. I couldn’t help but to notice how her bed hair was extremely sexy, and how her… No. Now was not the right time for that.

“I was pretty stupid of me to not realize it,” I said, before she even got time to sit down. “I mean, wolves with Alpha blood are supposed to be extremely strong, even if they aren’t first in line.”