Chapter 18

Author’s Note: So I apologize for the delay from the other chapter due to the fact that there was a nasty virus that went into my laptop. I had no choice but to reset everything because it wouldn’t let me go into safe mode to transfer my files into my hard drive; so yes, all of my brainstorming drafts and documents went down the drain, including the ones for my new stories that I was working on.

Hope you guys understand. Enjoy!

 ************************************

I stepped out of my bedroom after grabbing my mask and putting it on; it had the same colors as my outfit so it would match. Grandma, Mom, Mason, and Jack were waiting for my in the living room of my quarters.

Grandma was on the side with the coronet in her hand. I smiled apologetically at her and took it with gratitude, setting it on my head and made sure that my hair didn’t get messy with it on. It was weird, it didn’t feel this heavy back in the crown chamber. Maybe it was trying to emphasize that I was in fact going to be crowned king soon. I hugged her quickly.

“Finally, man,” Mason impatiently sighed. “I was beginning to think that we were going to be up here the whole night.”

Mom noticed a hint of confidence in my eyes even though they were shrouded through my mask. She always knew what was up. “Sorry, I was catching up with someone.”

“Well, whoever they are, they’re gonna have to wait,” Jack stressed. “Come on, people! We’re on a tight schedule here. Ms. Stronghold, gentlemen, Your Majesty, let’s move out. The Ball begins in less than ten minutes and we can’t start unless the hosts are present. Let’s move, people!”

Ever since I promoted Jack to my personal assistant, he’s been really taking his job even more seriously than before. He got phone calls more often, I would sometimes catch him holding a binder full of documents, and he seemed happier, if I caught it right. Maybe this raise helped him financially, who knows. I didn’t want to butt into his personal life. I’d let him come forward to me instead of my being rudely intrusive.

We powerwalked over to the elevators because we knew that it would take more than the time we had to get down there if we took the stairs. When we reached the ground second floor of the Palace, we ran into the Parlor where we prepared ourselves for the opening.

As usual, Grandma and I stepped through the doors and we were presented to the crowd as the music began to flood the room. Mason was by my side while Mom was dragged off with Grandma to go and introduce her to some of the guests that probably knew her from before.

Mason leaned against the balcony railing and I did the same. “So this is what it feels like to party with royalty.”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t get used to it. I’m not, and I’ve been here longer.”

“Do you smell that? Oh my god, that smells so good. I have to get down there and try the food.”

“You wanna grab something to eat? I’m afraid if I don’t get you to a table soon, you’ll chow my face off.”

“Oh shut up, you know how I am when it comes to smelling something that is inevitable to avoid. I must have a taste of what you’ve been eating this past month. I still don’t know how you’re not getting chubby.”

“Exercise, Mason. Have to boost up the metabolism to keep in shape.”

“Ugh, don’t even mention that word. I had to go to the gym for three days straight to burn off the stuff I ate from my mom and dad’s anniversary dinner.”

“Whoa, how long has it been already?”

“Ten years, and trust me when I say that I didn’t even bother counting.”