Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

Today was Friday and it was approaching the fall season. Leaves were already turning to their shades of autumn colors. After the talk we had with General Haven yesterday, my mother had decided that it was best not to hide anything anymore so she spilt all of the details. It was like a Cinderella story that never made it to the happy ending.

The thing I dreaded the most was going back to school and wondering what everyone would now think of me now that I was practically royalty. When I first walked into the doors, all noise subsided and the halls went silent. Mason found me and walked by my side as we registered every stared that was directed towards me. Even the jocks, especially Taylor, looked intimidated by my presence. He actually looked away, and that was a first. I felt a new string of confidence being stitched into my new skin that I was beginning to develop, but it was thin.

The rest of the day was awkward. Some of the students would eye me from their peripheral visions. It made me stir and shift uncomfortably in my seat. I've never had this kind of attention before and it was making me anxious. Would people be doing this in the future? Watching my every move?

Just then, Nathan, my ex-boyfriend, showed up at my table where I was sitting across Mason. The rest of the table was empty as usual.

"Hey Vincent," he said with a tone of uncertainty, as if he wasn't sure I would reply back or if he wasn't sure I would pounce on him and strangle him without hesitation.

"Hi," I say monotonously.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine." I didn't ask if he was. I wasn't interested at all.

"That's good."

I took a bite of my tuna sandwich as Mason sat there cautiously. He knew about the relationship I had with Nathan, and he made it very clear to Nathan to never talk to me again. Mason eyed him like he saw a new punching back just waiting to be broken in. My gaze didn't break away from my tray because I didn't want to even acknowledge his presence.

"Vince, we need to talk about this," he begged.

"There's nothing to talk about, I've told you that how many times."

"I told you that there was nothing going on between me and Trent!"

"Sure, nothing was going on. I suppose that catching you two in your bed together on our third month together as a couple after I was out getting you a present and coming there to see that, was nothing."

I felt the guilt he was feeling. He should be feeling guilty. I was completely loyal in our relationship. I loved him, cared for him, and was genuinely concerned for his well-being. But after that scenario, all of those emotions were replaced with anger, heartbreak, and betrayal. I had promised myself that I would never feel anything like that again.

I heard his sigh. "I'm not giving up, you have my word on that." Then, he walked away. I didn't want to bring myself to look at him. After the break up, it was apparent that both he and Trent had gotten together a few times. How did I know this? Well, rumors of course. And I believed them, because if he did it once, it was certain that he would do it again.

As I promised, I told Mason about yesterday. I told him about how I was tied to the royal family and about how my mother was, at one point, a princess of Allyria. But I left out the part about how there were other members of the family who were willing to take over should I refuse to take the throne. I didn't want him to get angry with people he had never met. It was unhealthy to think like that.

"So what are you gonna do? Are you gonna say yes?" He was curious. I just shrugged. "I still can't believe that I've been friends with a prince this whole time."