Chapter 14:She's Always Near

I dialed her number. She soon enough picked up. "Hey Alec. What's the call for?"

  "Magnus and I were wondering if you were home. We would like to come over."

  "Yeah I'm home. What's up?"

  "It's a little hard to explain, but we need to talk to Darren."

  "Oh, okay? We'll be here then."

  "Thanks, bye."

  "Bye, Alec." She hung up. We're going to talk to Darren and see if he knows anything. It's all a big chase to figure out what's going on with Maddi. If he doesn't know then I don't know anyone who will. It's our last chance.

  We made it over to their house. They lived a bit far away from us, but the ride there wasn't too bad. I knocked on the door and a very pregnant Luna answered the door. "Hey Alec." She gave me a hug. "Haven't seen you in a while. What's been keeping you away?"

  "Maddi. How's pregnancy?" I laughed.

  "By the Angel get this child out of me. I didn't sign up to be tried all the time. So she's been keeping you away. Your cute little daughter. How's she?"

  "Good I guess. That's kinda why we came. We needed to talk to Darren."

  "He's in the living room." She moved to the side to let Magnus and I in. She lived in a cute house. Light colors and some black. It looked modern. In the living room was Darren sitting on the couch. One hand slung over the back of it. He noticed us when we walked in the room. "Hello Alec, Magnus. What brings you here?" he said nicely. He was always nice to everyone.

  "Hello. We would like to ask you if you had a brother, or someone else who shared the same last name?" He stiffened a  bit and shifted.

  "I did have a brother. His name was Aaron. He was a happy person, but one day he took his life. Leaving his girlfriend and child alone."

  "His girlfriend's child is Maddi. We met her and she begged us to take her. We agreed and that's how we have a daughter." He laughed a bit, but he seemed sad remembering his brother.

  "What a coincidence. What are the odds of that happening."

  "I know, but did your brother happen to have any history with Demons or Fae?"

  "My brother had some...business I guess you could call it, with a Warlock."

  "What was this business?"

  "He wasn't the cleanest person. He had some issues with her. I'm not sure what it was. He never said, but he made a deal with her. I know because he discussed it with me. I kept telling him not, but he said that it was the only option. He didn't even tell his girlfriend. She didn't know until he was gone and it was too late."

  "What happened, Darren?"

  "He told her that to repay any debts he owed her, she was allowed to preform black magic on his child and take her as her own whenever she wanted. The child was born a Shadowhunter as you know, but the magic left her different. As if she herself was a Warlock." That's it. That's what happened to Maddi. So much black magic changed her completely. Her blood might be Shadowhunter, but she's a Warlock. "I heard of the things the Warlock planned to do to her. She gave her the power to teleport, see the future, and more that I probably don't know of. What does she have now?" By the Angel. Maddi so going to have more powers. The Clave will freak out if they find out. My daughter.

  "Right now she can just see the future, but the rest is probably going to kick in as she gets older. You said she preformed the black magic on her when she was very young, but was there anything else? Like did she attempt to take the Shadowhunter part away from her? As far as I know, that's not possible. Is it, Magnus?" I tired to stay calm and ask questions, but it's so hard because I'm so scared. Scared about what will happen to Maddi if the Clave finds out. Scared about something bad happening to her. Just scared.

  "It isn't," he replied.

  "No. That's it. I can only tell you what I know, and Aaron didn't tell me much." This was the final thing we needed. We know now, but why does it feel like there's something else? We know what she is. We know what we can do to help her, but we don't know anything about Aaron or this Warlock. For all we know the Warlock is tell going to take Maddi.

  "Thank you. That's all we needed." We got up to leave. We got what we wanted. "Wait. Do you know the name of the Warlock?"

  "No, I'm sorry. He never told me, but Aaron said that she was 'always near.'  It's drove him to insanity, though. He would mutter it over and over until he took his life."

  "Thank you. That's all we needed to know." We said our goodbyes and left. "Magnus. Can we just walk home?"

  "It's a bit far, are you sure?"

  "I'm sure. It's just a lot to take in. All we just learned, and I don't want to lose her. The Clave might be more sympathetic towards her because she's a Shadowhunter by blood, but she's not. We now know that she's not, and we just learned that she has even more powers. The Clave will either take her away and use her for their own selfish reasons, or get rid of her because she's different. I love my daughter, Magnus, and we have to do everything we can to protect her. You can help her. Try to train her to use her powers. Teach her how to control them and make sure it isn't seen. No one can know."

  "I know. We can't have anyone know besides maybe a few who are close to us. It's dangerous otherwise. I'll help her control them, but she's still our daughter. We can't have grow up believing she's different and odd."

  "She won't. We'll make sure she's loved and cared for. That she doesn't grow up feeling like an outcast from everyone else."

  "But we can't do that shielding her from the Clave and everyone else. The Clave is going to find out one way or another, and when they do we'll fight for our daughter. They won't take her away from us. Agreed?"

  "If it comes down to that, agreed."

  "Good. Let hurry home. It's really hot, like you."

  "Shut up. Let's just get home." We walked the rest of the way home. Clary was there watching Maddi, so there was no rush.

  Just as I was going to open the door Magnus stopped me. "Do you hear that?" I could hear it at first, but then I listened closer. It was a faint voice singing a nursery rhyme. It wasn't Clary. I opened the door quickly. "Clary?" I called out. The singing continued. We walked into the living room. My blood boiled. Magnus's half sister some how got in and is holding my daughter. "Where's Clary!" She acted dazed. Like she just noticed where she was.

  "She left. She knew she could trust me after some...convincing." She must've put a spell on Clary to get her to leave. That's the only way she would leave.

  "Leave right now!" Magnus yelled.

  "Why? I'm just visiting me niece. What pretty eyes she has."

  "I don't care. Get out of here and never come back. You shouldn't be here!"

  "She's my niece. I should care for her too. The little girl hasn't cried, so she's okay."

  "You think I don't know what you're doing? You're trying to get back into my life for who knows why. I've been avoiding you for centuries because you hate me, and you're not coming back into my life now. I've gone pretty damn well without you."

  "That's why I'm trying to make amends, brother. It's been far too long. We should be back traveling the world. Committing crimes we'll never be caught for and meeting men."

  "Leave. I'm not going to do that ever again. Not with you, not with anybody. Take a hint and get out of my life." She put a sleeping Maddi on the couch and walked over to Magnus.

  "What you don't realize, is that I'm always going to be in your life." She then walked out the door without another word. "Maddi," he breathed. He rushed over to her. "She's okay. I'm pretty sure. I hate that woman. I hate her."

  "I wish she would leave us alone."

  "I do too, Alec." He stroked a bit of Maddi's hair back. She was fast asleep. She didn't have to worry about her life. She didn't know about her life being in danger. I wish we didn't have to worry about her life. I wish she could grow up normal without having to worry about the Clave or someone taking her. But it's not going to change. It might never change because we can't change Maddi, not that'd I want to. I love her the way she is, but I just wished she was safe.