Chapter One

~Feliciano~

I looked out the carriage window as the landscape passed by us.
The trees, and fields freshly covered in sludge like mud from the large storm that had happened the day before.

It was chilly, and the breeze that blew into the open window made a shiver run across my skin.
Though despite the slight chill resting in the air, the rays of sun that shown through the grey clouds above set a warmth that was enjoyable.

The air was humid, and smelled of wet grass, and dirt. It smelled fresh. I could breath without smelling parchment, and ink.
It was a pleasant change from the thick air of the manor.

Mr. Edelstein and I sat on opposite sides of the carriage, relaxing in an enjoyable silence.

Many years had passed since my childhood had ended, and now that I have reached my official adulthood I was free to do as I pleased.

Well almost.

I would be free tomorrow when I turn twenty.
I just had to get through today.

After that I could movie back to Italy. I could go back home.

To wide fields, and festivals, and pasta. Back to the farmhouse of my childhood.
I could go back to the place I had been forced to leave behind as a child.
After almost two decades I'll finally be able to go home.

"Stop daydreaming," Mr Edelstein's voice cut the silence like a warm knife through butter, "and don't slouch. It isn't very gentlemanly."

"Apologies, sir." I nod my head in his direction, straightening my posture.

Mr. Edelstein's sharp violet eyes gazed at me, making me fidget under the uncomfortable supervision.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask managing to meet his hard stare.
"There's something off with you," he says, his voice distant.

I begin to check my clothing. Looking for stains or rips in the new fabric.

He looked at every part of my outfit.
The formal white shirt I wore, my royal blue doublet, my brown trousers, and my brown, knee high boots.

He scanned the brownish blue coat that protected me from the chilled air, and the ring I wore on my finger. The wooden cross necklace hanging from my neck.

He looked over every part of me before he shook his head and clicked his tongue, "Tie your shoes."

I look down at the loose black strings of my boots.
I fumbled with them in attempt to tie them together.
Though I failed.

I was taught many things growing up.
I learned how to cook, clean, respect my superiors, run and support a business.
But I never learned how to tie my shoes.
It seemed like such an insignificant thing until now.

Mr. Edelstein sighed, "Let me."
I propped my foot up on the seat next to him. His slender fingers tied the strings together quickly, and I just looked down at my lap embarrassed.

A grown man who can tie his shoelaces.

Pathetic.

"Feliciano," Mr. Edelstein says as he finishes with my shoes. "there's something I want to talk about before we arrive at the party."

"What is it?" I ask finding a new interest in his words.
"You turned into a fine young man," he says brushing some of his brown hair from his face, "I can tell that you love your family, and you tend to your responsibilities well enough."