Prologue

~Feliciano~

I sat in my room with grandpa, both of us on the floor a variety of stuffed toys, and drawn pictures around us.

"This is the hatter," I tell my grandpa while I hand him a little pink stuffed bunny with blue beads for eyes, "his name is Oliver."

He looks at the toy with curiosity, "Oliver?" his deep, yet smooth latin accent rolled off his toungue in a way that was playful.

I nod happily, my smile growing, "He throws all kinds of tea parties and has a door mouse friend named Gillen," I pick up a Grey stuffed mouse that had originally been a toy for my cat pookie.

I had to stitch up the little toy where his hand been pierced by my cat Pookie's sharp claws and teeth, but he was still a very valued toy.

"And his other friends, Louis," I say also picking up a ragged old stuffed bunny that I had had for as long as I could remember, "he's a bunny."

"These friends are named so oddly," grandpa says laying the toys down with a smile, "Why not name them something like Julius? Or Augustus? Then they would be true Romans!"

I giggled holding the toys closed to me, "No, No, grandpa! They aren't Romans. Oliver is English, Gillen is German, and Louis is French." I explain

"What a wide variety of people," grandpa chuckles, "You have been paying attention to your studies."

"Kind of," I say looking at my toys fondly, "I really like learning about other countries! There's so much out there I haven't seen yet! I want to see everything!"

Grandpa laughed, "You will. One day you'll travel the world, and see it all!"
"Really?" I asked looking at him with wide eyes.

He nodded, "One day, my little Feli." he ruffled my hair, "For now though you need to explore those wild dreams of yours"

"But grandpa!" I whined as he picked my up out of the pile of toys, "I'm not tired!"
He clicked his tongue, "Lies."
"Grandpa!"

He laid me down on my bed pulling the sheets up over me, "Now, now Feliciano," he cooed, "you must sleep. You have studies to do while I'm at work, then we have to go see Lovino, remember?"

"I almost forgot, that we were going to see big brother!" I gasp.
Grandpa laughs.

Lovino was my older brother by two years. We were exact opposites.
I was cheerful, and loved to sing and dance, and make up other worlds for me to play in.
Lovino was moody, and antisocial. He preferred to read books on logic, he didn't believe in fairytales. He didn't like fun.

Grandpa had sent him to live with a friend in Austria, though I don't know why.
We hardly ever have contact with eachother, other than the few letter that we right to eachother.
But those are getting fewer all the time.

I really missed my older brother.
We used to be so close when we were little, but after he was sent away we became distant.

A light knock came to the door, and one of the maid stepped through the white painted door, "My apologies for interrupting sir, but the doctor has arrived for you."

"Thank you." grandpa nods, dismissing the found women.
She gave a small curry, and left.
"Doctor?" I question, "Why do you need a doctor, grandpa?"

"Don't worry, Feli." he says stroking my face, "I'm fine, I just have a little cold is all. I'll be okay."

"Promise?" I ask.
He hesitates, but nods, "Now, sleep."

He kisses my head, and tucks me in before standing up to leave. He turned off the lantern that resisted next to the door, though making sure to leave a candle lit since I was afraid of the dark.
"Goodnight, Feliciano." he says.