Chapter 2 (Phillip's POV): CALM BEFORE THE STORM

He has been preparing for this Grammy gig all month. He stopped his occasional smoking and drinking just to make sure his throat was 100% healthy. He was so focused on making an impact. He knew he had to.

His friends burst out laughing! He just told them he started going to the gym. They found it comical. He understood that he wasn’t the kind of person who would care about his appearance but he knew he had to look good. He even had his hair cut back to the way it was on Idol. It wasn’t that long before but he figured he might as well look groomed. And yes, he even shaved. “What is happening to me?” he asked while looking at the mirror. But he already knew the answer. He smiled shyly as if embarrassed of what he was thinking.

His manager and stylist, excited by his makeover, shrieked so loud he thought he was going to get mobbed by fan girls. Those teenage girls obviously moved on to the next cute guy on Idol but he doesn’t really care. “What? You like my mainstream look?” he asked Robert sarcastically.

“I actually do!” Robert shouted. “Thank you for allowing yourself to look good, Phil! You owed it to yourself.”

And he did look good. He looked like a star, back to the Phillip Phillips America knew four years ago. Even better, actually. Gym worked, he looked leaner and fit and the suit he was going to wear looked amazing on him. He actually liked it. “But… will she like it?” he thought. “What the hell, Phillip. Stop it.”

“That’s what you’re wearing? Oh you are going to break so many hearts tonight! Finally, you listened to me!” Hazel, his stylist, said joyfully.

“Don’t get too excited, Haze. But yeah, you’re right. I might just wear better clothes more often,” he said with a wink.

“Yeah please do, Philly. I’ll still have your T-shirts and jeans but they will stay here at home. Love you! Now drink your tea.”

Ginger tea. Ha. Jessica had to drink so many of this during Top 3 performance night. Her throat was sore that week. He remembered he did not want her to drink it though because hearing her voice so raspy suited her. “Stop it, PP! Hahaha!” he remembered her saying with her giggles when he pretended to get her tea. It was an amazing tone. Why did he even remember that? He sighed.

Drinking the tea was the last thing he remembered. Everything else seemed like a blur afterwards. He was done with final rehearsals. He walked the red carpet, greeted fans and talked to the press briefly. He was now in his dressing room watching the live telecast of the Grammys. He hoped to see Jessica during the red carpet but as if he would get to see her there, the media would go crazy over her in a second.

“Phillip Phillips is back!” a familiar voice broke his thoughts.

He turned around and he knew exactly why it sounded familiar. It was Ryan Seacrest. “Hey Ryan!” he replied. He gives him a brief hug.

“Hey buddy congratulations on your success! Hope to have you on my show soon. The single is amazing! It was second on my countdown last week. See you later!” Ryan said enthusiastically then left.

Wow, it reached second. “I guess I’m really mainstream now,” he thought. He was actually okay with that. He focused his eyes back on the television and it coincidentally showed Jessica wearing the most beautiful white gown he has ever seen. His jaw dropped instantly.

“Hey Jay! You brought out BB Chez tonight! You look stunning as usual! And those high heels… Ugh! I can’t even. Ugh! Love it! Who are you wearing?” the reporter said.

“Thank you so much! I’m wearing Dolce and Gabbana.” she said then twirled to show the full beauty of her figu— no, of her dress. “And these amazing heels are by Christian Louboutin, of course! These are custom made by the way, love you Christian!” she giggled.

The giggle made Phillip smile. She was still the same. Did she know he was here? “I can’t wait to talk to her,” he whispered. He couldn’t stop staring at her, she was beyond gorgeous. Beautiful. Stunning. Amazing. Every compliment seemed like an understatement.

He began thinking of a joke. One that would make her giggle that way when they meet later.

“Will you be performing tonight?” the reporter asked.

“No, but I will be presenting. I can’t wait for all the performances! I’m sure it will be a great show.”

“Anyone you’re excited for in particular?”

“It would be good to see my buddy, Diggy Simmons, perform. I’m sure he’d do great! But I’m just literally excited to see everyone!”

She saw the performance list. She knew Diggy Simmons was going to perform. Phillip got nervous. He was excited to go to this event to see her; she obviously was not feeling the same way. All his enthusiasm rushed out of him.

“She and the guy are friends, of course she’ll support him! But she said she was excited to see everyone!” his mind yelled at him. She did say she was excited to see everyone. “Why would she even mention me? We haven’t talked in years. Silly.” he thought, laughing. He kept telling himself he just wanted to see her just to catch up. That’s all. His mental and emotional states were battling it out for the truth. He didn’t even know anymore.

“Mr. Phillips, we need you in ten,” a production staff told him, “you will be performing after the Best Male Artist Award.”

“Okay then. Thanks.” he replied.

The show hasn’t even reached half its running time but Jessica has already won two awards for Best R&B Performance and Best R&B Song. She was on a roll. She didn’t even seem like the Jessica he knew, she was so confident in giving out her thank you speeches. He was getting nervous. He shouldn’t be, he was there to perform for the audience, not for her.

What a lie.

“Mr. Phillips, we need you out now. After this you can change, then we reserved a seat for you in row six.”

He nodded, closed his eyes and headed for the stage.

Randy Jackson was the one to introduce him. Great. The guy just left him to drown after Idol now he is here at his comeback. In it to win it your face, Randy.

“He was once a dreamer,” he started “and we all thought that, that was all he was.” People started laughing. “But he did not give up. He fought hard and now he is once again topping the charts! It might have been a long way to finally reach his fate but he finally did it! Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to introduce to you… the amazing… my dawg, Phillip Phillips!”

Drums started banging. Drums? He just wanted it to be stripped down. Anyway, what can he do now? The cameras showed Jessica but she just seemed neutral. “Not doing this for her, not doing this for her…” he told himself. And after releasing a long, deep breath he started playing.

Two words: STANDING. OVATION.

Everyone was up on their feet. Everyone except Jessica.