Chapter 4: STARTING OVER

“Hello?” Phillip asked after answering his phone.

“Mr. Phillip Phillips?” a voice asked.

“Yes, who is this?”

“This is Joan Slanders, I’m calling in behalf of Mr. Simon Fuller.”

Why was the creator of Idol contacting him? He was dropped by the label that worked with the show after releasing his first album. He lived up to the failure-of-a-legacy the “White Guys with Guitar” era brought.

“What do you want?” he replied angrily. He did not want to be associated with the man’s show in any way possible anymore.

“We are glad your career has risen, congratulations on the hit single.”

He grunted.

“Listen, I know it’s been a while but as you know American Idol is coming to an end after this season. We wanted to bring back all the previous winners, from seasons 1 to 14.”

Of course they wanted that. This was their last chance to exploit the former contestants to earn a few more millions. He refused to be part of this. “If I don’t agree?” he asked.

“It’s in your contract. If you refuse there will be legal repercussions. Don’t worry we will take care of everything. Rehearsals will start one month from now but we need you in our LA studio in two weeks.”

“Why?”

“We’re making a compilation CD. 15 tracks. It will be released shortly after the winner of Season 15 is announced.”

That sounded exhausting. “You want all the winners to sing a track?”

“Well, sort of. A duet actually.”

“A duet?”

“Yes. The winners and the runner-ups of the different seasons. Should be fun. You and Jessica are scheduled to record in two weeks.”

She will be with him. Suddenly, he couldn’t wait to do the Idol recording and rehearsals. “Has she confirmed the date?”

“Yes.”

He hated American Idol and what it did to his career. The producers focused on his looks instead of his talent, that’s why he garnered a huge teenage following. That was probably why he won. He didn’t feel like much of a winner after realizing that. When he finally released his own material, the fan girls did not like it because it wasn’t poppy, so they moved on to another cute guy. Thus, the flop. But a contract is a contact, he had to oblige. He confirmed his appearance to the rep, gave his manager’s contact details and hung up.

He tried calling Jessica but she didn’t answer, again. The last time he saw her was a month ago at the Grammys. They haven’t communicated since. He sent her text messages and emails asking to meet up and also called her a few times but she never contacted him back. She must have been busy.

At least this stupid Idol thing will allow them a chance to have a real conversation. He kept thinking about the Grammys. She had this confused look in her face the whole time they talked. He wanted to congratulate her on her awards but she kept trying to end their conversation.

What made her feel so uncomfortable around him?

He was in a recording studio when his phone rang. It was Jessica. He nearly fell off his chair as he rushed to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hey Phillip. It’s Jessica.” she replied.

His heart beat faster. He missed her voice. “Hey Jess, how have you been? Thought you were avoiding me,” he responded. Well, that was blunt.