Chapter 6: CLUELESS

“This is pointless,” she thought as she sat down on top of her huge pile of clothes. She has been trying on different outfits for about an hour and a half already. Dressing up has always been one of her talents but this time, no matter how hard she tried, nothing seemed appropriate.

Phillip was going to arrive in about an hour and she still looks like crap. She was freakin’ out.

RING! RING! RING! Her phone rang.

It was an unregistered number. “Hello?” she asked.

“Hey boo!” an excited voice greeted her, “I’m on my way to your place right now. I’m in the area, we must hang!”

“DEANDRE!!!!” she screamed so loud.

“Get dressed, I’ll be there in a bit! We gon’ be rockin’ it out in SD babe!”

She was so excited to hear from him. He moved to Hawaii last year and they haven’t seen each other since. She really wanted to see him. But she already committed to Phillip.

“Oh no, D! I’d really love to see you but I cant today!” she replied sadly.

“Whatchu talkin’ bout?”

“I already have plans. But I’ll see you tomorrow? Promise me you’ll see me.”

“What? You can’t cancel plans for your boo?”

“I want to, believe me. But he’s already near! He drove all the way from LA. Baby, I’m so sorry! But promise tomorrow! Please see me? Please?” she pleaded.

“Ooh girl, who is this guy? You gotta fill me in!” DeAndre seemed excited.

“He’s a friend. Just see me okay?”

“Can I tag along? I got no plans today!”

“No!” she said almost instantly.

She said that out of reflex because she knew DeAndre wouldn’t approve. But because of her reaction, she knew he was going to probe her even more.

“Hey tell me what’s up! Why don’t you want me to meet this guy?” DeAndre started his probing.

“It’s not that…”

“What’s his name? And how did you meet?” He was determined.

“Ugh please, D. Let it go, will you?”

“Girl, you gotta fill me in. I’ll see you tomorrow. You better get ready to answer some questions, okay? See you!”

DAMN IT. What was she going to tell him?

After putting down the phone, she checked a text message. It was from Phillip. He said he was 15 minutes away.

OH. MY. GOD.

She looked at herself in the mirror and winced. She was a complete mess! She took out more clothes and started wearing them to see if they would be good enough. They weren’t. She was screwed.

A few minutes after, the text notification on her phoned beeped again. “Hey, I’m already outside your house.”

Oh no.

She grabbed a black hoodie and wore a pair of faded jeans. She got the best pair of heels she had and put them on. At least her hair looked amazing. She looked at the mirror one last time and shook her head. She’ll just rock out an I-know-I’m-cute-so-I-won’t-try-so-hard-to-impress-anymore-just-look-at-my-amazing-hair-and-yep-I-wore-heels look. Hope it works.

“Jessica!” her mom shouted.

She got her bag and left her room.

“Why is Phillip here?” her mom asked.