Chapter Six: A Pleasant Interruption

I knew it was going to be awkward inside the coach but I didn't think that it would be this awkward. Captain Levi kept on glancing between me and Hanji, as if we had planned something that only the two of us knew. Or maybe he simply wanted to get out of here as soon as possible. One never knows what Captain Levi's thinking after all.

"So, shorty, I'm guessing that we'll have to subtly interrogate those nosy military police officers, right?" Hanji asked Captain Levi, who was seated in front of them.

As if it wasn't enough that Hanji helped me up the coach, they chose to sit down beside me as well. I'd be lucky if I even get out of this coach alive.

"That's the plan, but then again with them, we have to be careful. Those bastards seem hell-bent on destroying the Survey Corps' reputation," Captain Levi answered with poorly concealed frustration as he glanced out the window.

"I'd rather avoid them all night," Hanji said with a sigh.

"As if we have that choice."

"Well, we might not, but as for you, [Y/N], we'd prefer that you and the other cadets enjoy the night," Hanji said as they slightly turned to face me. Hanji had a bright smile on their face. After all, they aren't the type to say something they didn't mean. And we all know how they've been looking after us even until now.

That's just one of the reasons why I fell for them. Simply put, Hanji Zoe is an amazing person.

"I'm more than willing to assist you, though. If there's any way that I could, I'd gladly do so," I told them with a smile.

I didn't want to be useless to them, and I thought that this could be a good chance for me to prove my worth. Even if I'm merely a cadet, I wanted to be at least of some use. Especially to Hanji and Captain Levi.

"That may be so but still. You-, I mean, everyone looks so beautiful tonight! You guys might as well dance to your hearts' content," they stuttered before quickly righting themselves.

What was that?

"It's no big deal at all! I don't even dance that good so I might as well do something productive," I answered modestly, lowering my head a little.

Although my family was part of the middle class before, we've never really attended any form or party or gathering since my parents opted to spend money on food rather than on 'useless events for the bourgeoisie'. With that said, I only learned how to waltz through my mother, who despite our financial status told me that one day it might benefit me. Of course, I never got the meaning of what she said.

Until tonight.

I at least know the basics of waltz, but since it's the King holding the event, my skills would be shameful compared to the other guests. I'd rather not humiliate myself.

Captain Levi sighed slowly before saying, "If the brat says she wants to help, let her."

Hanji simply looked at him in disbelief as they answered, "But [Y/N] should enjoy the party! I bet guys would be all over her!"

"I, uh, don't think that'll happen anytime soon, Hanji," I said as I felt myself blush from head to toe.

"Just guys?" Captain Levi asked in a low tone with a haughty smirk.

"What do you mean, Captain Levi?" I asked, absolutely perplexed by what he just said. He merely nodded off to Hanji, who was suddenly interested in looking at the scenery outside.

"We're almost there!" Hanji exclaimed, effectively changing the topic. However, Captain Levi's question echoed in my mind enough to make me think all night.