Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Reiss Chapel

[Author's Note]

Hi everyone! I just wanted to let my readers know that I'll be uploading a Q&A chapter sometime within the week. It could be questions or clarifications about this fic (which is highly encouraged), or some other things as long as I could answer them :D You may comment them on this paragraph or send it through PM ;) So, that's about it, and I hope you enjoy this chapter! Keep safe, everyone!

_

"The sun would be setting in about an hour, so make sure that everything's in place - double-check the supplies we'd be bringing, as well as your personal ones. We'll be heading out in thirty minutes," Commander Erwin announced, and we all gave our salutes before going our separate ways, having our own preparations for the upcoming expedition.

We were told that we'd be using the buddy system once more, though there was a small temporary change for now - Ymir would be grouping with Armin and Mikasa for the meantime. They agreed without any question, the three of them focused on saving Eren and Historia determinedly.

I double-checked my things as I saddled my horse, mentally taking note of the things I packed for later. I saw Hanji and Moblit discussing something with Commander Erwin and Captain Levi across the grounds, before the latter went back inside the headquarters moments later.

The other cadets were busy loading the necessary supplies into different carts, stacking barrels containing explosive materials that we needed for today's expedition.

Hanji walked over to where I was as Moblit excused himself right away, before they asked worriedly, "[Y/N], are you sure you're all better now? Today would be your first expedition after your severe injury, and I can't help but be concerned about you."

I gave them a reassuring smile, glancing around us first to check if anyone was nearby, and upon seeing that most of them were busy, gently held their hand in mine as I said, "I'll be fine, Hanji. None of my injuries hurt anymore too. Besides, I'd like to think that I've improved my skills now compared to how clumsy I was before."

Hanji still looked unconvinced, but sighed softly, placing their other hand on my cheek as they said, "I can't argue with that, you've come a long way, [Y/N], not only in terms of skills, but in other aspects as well," Hanji paused, lowering their hand from my face before glancing at our joined hands, "I apologize, I don't mean to fret or anything like that."

I squeezed their hand comfortingly as I told them, "I understand, Hanji. You don't have to apologize, even I know how that feels. But at least, this expedition, we'll be together."

Hanji nodded at this, tugging on my hand and pulling me closer to them, before kissing me chastely on the forehead. They let go of me after a few seconds and said, "I need to go over the plan with Erwin once more so I'll swing by his office for a bit. I'll see you later, [Y/N]."

_

I couldn't shake off the feeling that titans were going to jump out at us, even though there hasn't been a single sighting ever since we rode out. The sun had already set which left us with very limited lighting - the torches being held by some of the cadets our only source of light.

Currently, I was situated between Hanji and Captain Levi, the atmosphere a bit tense for some reason. Thinking nothing of it, I missed the indifferent glance that Hanji sent Captain Levi's way, to which the latter noticed but didn't react to.

"It's starting to get a bit cold, isn't it?" I asked to no one in particular, hoping to break the terse atmosphere.

The other 104th cadets were situated relatively far from us to cover more grounds - the nearest to our group's position were Sasha, Connie, and Jean, who were a few meters ahead of us, with the two males holding the torches.