Chapter Twenty-Three: Slumber

[Author's Note]

Hi everyone! I'm aware that it took me some time to update - and I've come to offer an explanation (I promise I won't go MIA like I did last time). It's because I have a lot of things to do (mainly because of work) and a few things that are personal in nature. Because of this, I thought to make some sort of 'schedule' - I'll be updating at least once a week, most likely during the weekends (or earlier, if possible, but no promises huhu). So, that's about it, and I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and tell me your thoughts about it!

_

Having finished with the bath, I slowly clothed myself and called for Hanji right after for help, who willingly assisted to get me to bed. They then stood up to rummage through a bag which most likely contained medical paraphernalia, before sitting back down on a chair situated beside where I was. Hanji took out a few bandages before motioning for me to get closer to them.

I glanced at them in a questioning manner, and the corner of Hanji's lips lifted a bit as they said, "Your head, we need to bandage it so the wound doesn't get infected," they paused a bit to gently caress the strands of my hair, inspecting the wound in the process before they continued, "It's a good thing that it's no longer bleeding, but still, make sure to be cautious of it."

I could only nod in response as Hanji proceeded to wrap the bandage around my head, making sure that it was securely in place as they tucked the ends neatly. I stared dumbfoundedly at their shoulders, unable to meet their gaze for a moment.

"[Y/N], do you have any more questions for me?"

Fidgeting with my fingers nervously, I asked in a candid manner, "I'm not sure if I understood correctly - the reason why you were so intent on pushing me away was because you didn't want to acknowledge your feelings for me?"

Hanji nodded solemnly at this before answering in a low tone, "It didn't work at all - if anything, it only made me think about you more. "

"Then...when you said before that you regretted what happened between us, was that a lie?"This made Hanji stop in their ministrations, glancing up to meet my gaze head-on, "A very blatant lie at that. If I were to be honest, I hated myself for hurting you. It pained me to see you like that - the expression you had on your face then, I don't think I could ever forget it."

Hanji sighed remorsefully before adding, "I never regretted anything - dancing with you the night of the party, holding you in my arms, giving you the necklace, and...kissing you. How could I ever regret those things when I did them because-"

A knock on the door interrupted us, prompting Hanji to school their face back into their normal expression before informing whoever was at the door to enter. The door opened slightly, revealing the other cadets who had mixed emotions on their faces at the sight of me, covered with wounds and bruises but alive.

I was definitely curious about what Hanji was going to say but thought that I could ask them at a later time. After all, I don't think I was going anywhere anytime soon. For now, I couldn't deny that it was truly nice to be able to see the 104th cadets again.

As my friends entered the room, Hanji resumed treating my wounds with the utmost care, their face not betraying a hint of their emotion. Eren was the one who spoke first, "How are you feeling, [Y/N]?"

I smiled at them as I answered, "Some of my wounds and bruises still hurt, but the most painful would be my sprain and my head. Aside from that, I'm good," pausing before I asked them warily, "How about you guys? Were any of you injured?"

Sasha sat down at the foot my the bed as she responded, "Just a few scratches here and there but nothing too severe. We were so worried about you, [Y/N]."