Chapter Twenty-Six: Success(?)

RIN'S P.O.V

Well, this is awkward. Ten minutes in, and all Kaminari and I have done is sit in silence, the air growing heavier by the minute. I should say something- force literally anything out of my mouth just to convince him that everything's okay. That I'm okay. To persuade him that I don't feel as though I'm sitting on pins and needles trying to keep these stupid powers out of his sight. There was a time when I was totally cool with him knowing... I got so close to telling him and now-

Well how can I? When I wanted to speak up, I was completely in control. My flames were mine, and I never had any reason to doubt them. But now? Now I can't even sleep in a room anywhere near other human life in case I burst into blue hellfire. How am I meant to tell Kaminari about the demon stuff, when the demon stuff isn't under my influence anymore? Besides, just the stress of trying to speak up might be enough to send me up in flames.

"I... Was really worried about you." While I sit here stewing over what to say, Kaminari finally takes it upon himself to break the silence. He doesn't seem too comfortable with it, but his eyes never leave the hands I've got settled in my lap. Truth be told, fiddling with my jeans is keeping my brain occupied. Instead of focused on the thriving wasp's nest in the back of my brain, just waiting for an excuse to burst open. "We all were. Hell, I still am." Don't do this to me. Don't use that voice.

"I'm- Yeah, I think I'm pretty good at making people worry." That's the best I can come up with. Wow, I really do suck, huh? Who knows how long he's been fretting over how I'm doing, and all I can do is sit here and make him feel like he's not special for having a constant worry about my wellbeing. Thankfully, he doesn't seem to take it that way at all. Instead, he just sighs and leans back against the wall, breaking his eyes away from my twitching fingers.

"Bakugou told us you got hurt up at the shrine. He said you were gonna be fine but- I don't know. It's like he wasn't telling us the full story."

"Well, he was possessed for most of it," I mutter, eventually tucking my hands under my arms when I feel my fingertips starting to heat up. One tiny slice of anxiety and I'm already close to letting my flames slip. Is this really how it's gonna be from now on?

"So what did happen then?" Kaminari asks, moving away from the wall and inching close to me, extending a hand. He's good. Damn, he's good. All he has to do is read my movements to sense that something really isn't right with me. Though I hesitate for a minute, for reasons I really don't need to spell out, I eventually tuck my palm into his, squeezing when his fingers wrap around my own. "You can tell me." This isn't fair. That look in his eyes isn't fair. The softness on his face isn't fair. He should be angry at me or- I don't know! Why is he acting so kind when all I've done is keep him in suspense? I'm lying to him constantly, and part of me thinks he wouldn't even care.

"I'm- Well, I'm gonna be honest. I'm scared," I finally mutter. It feels like the breath I didn't even know I was holding is let loose the second I admit it. I'm terrified. I could probably talk to Bakugou about it, but something tells me he'd just scoff and refuse to take me seriously. The Exwires would just say I only have myself to blame- I knew the risks that came with pushing my sword to its limit. I have a lot of people I could confide in, but I still feel so alone. So scared.

"Of what? Rin, what's going on with you?" He called me Rin. He's never called me that before. I don't think it even takes him two seconds to notice the small blush that's taken possession of my cheeks, an awkward smile jolting onto his lips almost instantly. "S-Sorry, I just thought- Well calling you Okumura feels way too professional so-"

"-You're good. Just caught me off guard, I guess," I weakly chuckle, though there's barely a hint of happiness in my voice. Even when I laugh, it sounds anxious and constrained. Like I'm holding something back so desperately, it's pulling everything else down with it. Maybe it's time. He deserves to know. I... I can trust him, can't I?

Then I imagine a little Yukio sat on my shoulder. You've only known him for a couple of months, Rin. What if he tells the rest of his class? What if he freaks out? You can't let any of them know your secret, or they'll- kill me, I know. But would Kaminari really do that? Could he honestly bring himself to do it, despite being ordered to? He's holding my hand- he's been worried about me for three days straight. No breaks, no pauses. He's thought about me since the last time we saw each other. Surely... Surely he cares enough to stay. To help.

Maybe that's all I need- just a little bit of help. Someone to support me when Yukio's away. Kaminari could be that for me. And... And maybe he won't mind at all. I could be blowing this way out of proportion. He could turn around and say it's awesome. Or he could turn around and run away. But then I think about the alternative: If he finds out on his own. No doubt he'd feel a lot more pissed off with me for not confiding in him. If something happened, and he found out from someone other than me, he might feel like I don't trust him enough.

I know I would.

I have to do it. It isn't great timing, and I should've done it sooner, but- "Denki, there's something I've gotta tell you. I tried to say it before, but then the whole kitsune thing happened and I never got the chance so I-"

"-Rin, I know." For a second, everything kinda just... Stops. Does he- How could he- Can he read my mind or something? "I know you're a demon." Alright, the world does more than stop. It feels like someone has just grabbed the ground and ripped it out from under my feet. Everything seems to tilt behind Kaminari, but he remains totally focused in my line of vision. He knows. How could he possibly know?!

"I don't- How did you-"

"-It's alright, man. It's okay, you're fine," he hushes, giving my hand a squeeze. It grounds me a little, but nowhere near enough. My brain starts to spiral, and the intense buzzing in the back of my head keeps getting louder and louder. Soon enough, it's like someone is screaming inside my skull. How long has he known for? How did he find out? I don't understand. I don't understand I don't-

Finally, the utter panic consumes me. Before I can warn him, my entire body ignites in blue fire. Not my usual, calm flames, but ones that mirror my distress- aggressive and unrelenting. I expect him to tear his hand out of mine and run as far away from me as he can, and I wouldn't even blame him. No, I'd rather he did. If I burnt him, I don't know if I'd ever be able to get over it. But he doesn't. Instead of backing down, he moves closer.

"S-Stay away from me. I can't control it." This is pathetic. I'm pathetic. I can't even hold myself together long enough to have a conversation with him. How the hell am I ever meant to get these damn flames under control again?! I guess I just panic more when he completely ignores my pitiful begging. The fire grows and swells around us, miraculously leaving his skin untouched, and he barely even blinks.

"Trust me, Bakugou's done worse." And then, with as little warning as he could've possibly given, he kisses me. Only for a brief few seconds, but long enough for me to drink up every single current that jumps between us. It's like my lips are pressed to an outlet, sparks of energy jolting through every single nerve surrounding my mouth. Even when he breaks away, the tendrils of lightning are still there, fizzing between our bodies. "You can calm down now. It's okay. You don't have to panic anymore."

Alright. Maybe flaring up in front of the guy I'm falling for wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.