Chapter Ten: Satan's Court

LEVIATHAN'S P.O.V

It feels like a century since Beelzebub returned. Gehenna has been in a state of unsettling quiet, not even my serpents daring to shift. No- Satan's wrath is far too great a threat. Not an inch has anyone moved following the dawning of a horrific realisation. The Prince is getting stronger, and at a much faster rate than any of us had ever anticipated. Rin Okumura poses a threat to the very court Satan hand-picked in the days after his fall. It's little wonder why our King is casting a shroud over everything Gehenna has known.

~

LUCIFER'S P.O.V

Of course, I'm not surprised. Disappointed, yes, but more so by the fact that I wasn't sent to do the job in the first place. Beelzebub- Possibly the worst choice for an assignment such as this. Yes, his power is great, but when faced with a demon capable of spewing flames almost comparable to Satan's, no wonder he failed. I'm not one to question my King. No, on the contrary-I'm glad that Beelzebub didn't succeed. Perhaps it may finally offer Satan an insight into just how powerful I can be. Even Assiah's restraints won't impair me.

~

BEELZEBUB'S P.O.V

I failed. My pretties- singed. My pride scorched on the tile of a palace I don't have the rights to enter anymore. The King is furious- not that I can blame him. I set out on a mission and I came back without the one thing I was tasked with retrieving. We learned something new, yes- Rin Okumura is far less vulnerable than we'd anticipated. Despite those students being in his way, he still took up the mantle of their protector and put his flames to use. But my failure isn't any less of a stain on Satan's mind. His son is growing in power, possibly too quickly for us to keep up. 

~

SATAN'S P.O.V

I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

~

RIN'S P.O.V

"Rin, please tell me you know what you're doing," Yukio sighs, shoving the last of his perfectly-folded shirts into his suitcase. Going away day, and it's obvious he couldn't possibly be more anxious. But at least he hasn't left me completely helpless; there are signs and instructions on probably every single surface I'm gonna look at while he's gone.

And that includes a big, red one strapped to my sword that screams 'DO NOT TOUCH'. Of course.

"Wha- Gimme some credit, man!" I eventually whine, threading my fingers through my tie as I fasten it around my neck. Usually, you'd never catch me out of bed this early but- Well I gotta be Yukio until Yukio comes back. Which means getting up soon as the sun rises. God, I wanna end me.

"Last time I gave you credit, you got found out immediately," he huffs, pushing his glasses up his nose. There's that vein again. The 'I'm stressed and it's all Rin's fault as usual' vein. Y'know, sometimes it hurts knowing I'm the cause of pretty much all of his issues. That, without me, he'd probably be a million times happier and a lot more carefree. I drag him down at the best of times. And, at the worst, I ruin his life bit by bit.

But if he really saw it that way, he woulda ditched me years ago.

"Yeah but- Look, I got this, baby bro."

"We're twins."

"Gotcha," I snicker, nudging him with my elbow, swiftly hopping onto his suitcase to help him zip it up. All he does is chuckle and gently shake his head, careful of my tail as he goes. "I'll do my best. That's all I can do. I won't do anything you wouldn't do." He doesn't believe that. Not even for a split second. How do I know?

Because he bursts into laughter. My brother never does that.

But no, here he is, leaning over his case, laughing his ass off. My cheeks turn a furious red, and my stomach knots up at the ridicule. "Hey, take me seriously!" I snap, jumping off the bed and sternly folding my arms. And he wonders why I act up.

"I'm sorry, Rin. It's just- Well I know you're trying, but don't make me a promise you can't keep," he chuckles, adjusting his glasses again and straightening out, finally managing to wipe that damn smirk off his face. Ass. My ass of a brother. But he's still my brother. "Keep in contact, yeah? Update me if anything happens and I'll come right back."

"Yes, mom," I huff, softly elbowing him in the ribs. Maybe one of these days he'll actually be able to leave me without any hesitation at all. Though, I can understand why he's so wary of just packing up shop and yeeting a few countries over. I'm a problem child who can barely handle himself. Let alone juggling two classes, whilst still trying to learn about the UA kids, whilst also keeping my demon shit hidden, on top of making sure Bakugou's mouth stays dead shut. Can I tape it closed? Is that allowed?

Oh god my head just went to a filthy place.

By the time I shake myself out of that mindset, Yukio's already gone. He's not one for goodbyes, but that doesn't stop the crushing feeling that slowly starts to weigh down on my chest, knotting up my stomach and tangling around my airways. I'm really alone, huh? With all this responsibility and- Okay, Rin, keep it together. He's not even left the dorm building yet, don't have a breakdown.

So I just take a breath, tuck my tail under my shirt, leave my sword by the door and exit our bedroom after a good hour of calming down. A couple Coal Tars idly bob past my head, and all feels kinda right with the world. The sun's in the sky, if only just, and there don't really seem to be many clouds out there at all. I can do this. The nice weather- it's a sign. Fujimoto shining down on me, urging me on. I've got this. So long as the sun's in the sky, I can do this.

And then, just like that, everything goes grey. The heavens crack apart and rain starts to decimate the ground in solid sheets of water. Pools and puddles form on the ground in seconds, rising and rising until I hear Kuro let out a wail from the ground floor, the poor thing running up the stairs at a breakneck pace.

"Rin! Something's wrong!" He almost shrieks. And he's right. In a matter of minutes, the city begins to flood. Unnaturally too- even though there's a complex drainage system, none of it seems to be working. The water just keeps swelling and building, crashing against structures in catastrophic waves. Is this a fever dream?! This can't be real!

"Shit. EVERYONE UP!" I yell as loud as my lungs will permit, scrambling up the stairs and banging on each door lining the hall. This has to be a demon- and a strong one at that. There's only one demon I know who could have a lackey capable of something so massive. This must be what Yukio was talking about.

Satan's Court... They're here.

And I think I know who they're after.