Chapter 7

The footsteps are getting louder and louder. Closer and closer. I feel myself slouch slightly with fear, but I pull myself together. I will be strong I say to myself. This is my time to escape. Where will I go? I was planning on staying here for a while with Tyler. That’s a point, what about Tyler? My eyes flicker about frantically whilst I think about him. It’s not like I mean anything to him, I can leave. But, he was nice. A lot of people have been nice. Well, should I say goodbye to him, or do I just leave? Plus, what about that man in the lobby? What happened with him wasn’t normal. I need to find him. I need to find him soon. I have to know what happened and why.

I clench my fist in determination, I will hunt him down. Before I could continue my thoughts a hand comes in to my visions and clicks twice. I snap my head up to see that there is still only the five of us. Letting out a breath of relief I follow the hand and look at the white haired lady.

I open my mouth but then shut it quickly. I’m mute, I’m mute. I remind myself. Instead I raise my eyes brows and look pointedly at her as if I am asking ‘yes?’ she leans in close and whispers

“He is round the next corner.” Smiling down at me she rests a hand on my shoulder, she squeezes it before releasing me. “Don’t worry, he is very nice.” She states. I take a deep breath, lean against the wall behind me and shut my eyes.

Their footsteps are getting closer still, only a little longer I think, and I was right. The steps stop. I’m tempted to peak out under my eye lids but I force myself not to. Do not talk, I tell myself over and over again.

A hushed whisper runs through the people outside the cell, why don’t they just mind link? Duh! I roll my eyes under my eyelids and release a sigh.

A soft worm hand settles on my shoulder, again. I flicker my eyes open to look at who has come to see me. My gaze goes straight to a man in his early 40s, he is the tallest there and the most muscular with short greyish blackish hair. He is wearing a blue shirt and some work trousers I guess, they are the posh suit trousers that people wear. He stands outside the cell with yet another two pairs guards. Oh my lord! Who has tried to kill him recently? I shuffle to the end of the block and plant my feet on the floor. Grunting I push myself up.

He raises his hand, signalling for the three guards bickering behind him to be silent. Then he slowly makes his way towards the opening in the bars, the door, I suppose. I roll my eyes he is taking his time.

Keeping my eyes on the ground I watch as a pair of black pointed shoes comes across my vision. I flick my head up and look into the eyes of the alpha. Oh great, I think, just made eye contact. Do I look away or hold my gaze? Holding my gaze would mean I’m challenging him, wouldn’t it? That’s what it’s like for dogs and wolves. But, if I look away he might think I’m rude or weak and I’m none of those things! Instead my gaze turns into a glare.

“Hello there…” a deep voice rumbles and echoes of the walls. Wincing a little as I have sensitive hearing, he continues. “…Sorry to have kept you in such terrible conditions, I assume they treated you appropriately?” I just nod my head a bit. “Good, good. Well then, let us talk elsewhere!” he says with a smile. I try to smile but it comes out more of a grimace, I’m still quite scared of alphas. He pulls a face at my face but just turns and walks out.

A finger prods my ribs, I swivel and glare at the culprit.

“You’re meant to follow him.” Says the lady with the white hair, she smiles at me before shoving me towards the door. By now the mayor man is half way down the corridor. As soon as I step out of the cell two men appear dressed in their guard uniforms out of nowhere and flank me. How many guards are there in this place?

I look at them both quickly, one is a 60ish year old man the other is probably about 16 years old. He’s still a boy! I sigh, looking back up to see where the mayor got to I notice he is no longer in my line of sight.