The Legends are True

Again Paul opened my door, only this time it was to let me out. He held onto my hand and I felt safe.

We walked up the steps and I walked us into the house. My grandfather was sitting in the living room reading the news paper while the television was on, showing the news.

"Grandfather." I said grabbing his attention. I let go of Paul's hand so I wouldn't be disrespectful in front of my grandfather in his own home.

"Meda. What a nice surprise, and Paul, what brings you kids by?" he asked gently.

Paul spoke. "Its happening Mr. Ateara, Luckily Leah was with her and called me when it started...I was able to stop it but I don't know how long it'll last or if I'll be around for the next time it happens." Paul said sadly.

I wasn't entirely sure what they were talking about.

Grandfather looked at me and then back at Paul. "So she's your..."

"Yes" Paul said before grandfather could finish. "She is." Paul said with a huge smile on his face.

Grandfather wore the same smile. "It will make for an extraordinary bloodline." Grandfather said.

Paul simply rubbed the back of his neck while he wore a slight smirk and nodded... I just stood there dumbstruck and confused as to why I was even here.

"Please kids, take a seat." Grandfather said signaling us to his sofa. "Meda, do you remember the old legends you heard the night of the bonfire?" he asked.

"Yes Grandfather, every single one." I said honestly.

"Perfect." He smiled proudly, "Alright Meda I want you to think about the legend of our ancestors...the one about the tribes protectors."

I thought about the story remembering all the details then I spoke.

"In the story, the tribe had warriors who protected the Quileute people, it was said these warriors had the ability to turn into wolves." I summarized.

"Its a Legend Meda not a story and you are right. Now what if I told you that it is true." Grandfather asked seriously.

"But it can't be true it's just a story." I countered.

Grandfather smiled and shook his finger at me "It can be true because it's a LEGEND not a story...The difference being a legend chronicles our ancestors pasts and are told from generation to generation...A story is something made up to entertain us on cold nights."

I bit my bottom lip in frustration. "So your telling me the LEGEND of the wolf warriors is true and to this day our tribe still has a group of protectors that can turn into wolves?" I question with disbelief. "Like...werewolves?"

Paul smirked, "I wouldn't go so far as to call us Werewolves."

"Meda, we tell these legends to INFORM our people of what could happen to them...Simply put, if threat comes our way, our people shift into wolves...the gene to shift is in all of us as we are shifters not werewolves."

I was shocked, this can't be true, I mean how could it? I was on the edge of calling them out on some joke or something when Paul spoke up.

"Look Angel, I know it's hard to believe but I swear it's true." Paul said.

Again I bit my lip with uncertainty. "I mean, I want to believe you, I do...but there's just no way." I stated defiantly as I cross my arms over my chest to show that I was being serious. "I mean, do you even have proof?"

They both nodded and stood up.

I looked up at them curiously. "Wait seriously?!"

"Come on Angel, I'll show you." Paul said with a mischievous grin.