↞ sixteen

castle rock
{olivia's pov}

we all stopped walking to say our goodbyes, which i wasn't mentally prepared for. i don't think any of us were.

"well, see you in school," vern said sadly.

"yeah," chris said.

"see you in junior high," teddy replied.

"come on, guys. don't say it like that. you make it sound so depressing," i said. i held out my hand for vern to shake, and he took my offer. "it was nice going on the trip with you. i'm glad i convinced you to come with us." vern smiled.

"i'm glad you convinced me to go, too. see you, guys," he said. we glanced at him as he walked away.

"penny!" he exclaimed. we all laughed quietly. then, he was gone. i didn't want to say goodbye to all of them. it's going to hurt too much.

"i better get home too before my mom puts me on the ten-most-wanted list," teddy said.

"i think you already are, teddy," i replied. he rolled his eyes.

"come on, liv," he said.

"uh, can i stay with them for a couple more minutes?" i asked. he just shrugged in response and he began walking off. he stopped abruptly and turned on his heel.

"hey, chris. no hard feelings, ok?"

"no way, man," he replied. he started off again, and began singing the song we all sang together on the tracks. i can't believe i have to live with that thing for the rest of however long it'll be. but, i was also kinda glad i was going to.

the three of us were staring at the small town of castle rock beside the treehouse. the treehouse that had all started our adventure.

"i'm never gonna get out of this town, am i, gordie?" chris asked.

"you can do anything you want, man," gordie replied.

"yeah. sure," chris said doubtfully. "gimme some skin." they did their handshake thing. i learned that it was something the boys did occasionally when they got in fights, or when they said a good joke. not when they said goodbye. gordie held his hand out to me and a confused expression spread across my face.

"gimme skin," he said.

"oh, right," i said, and i did the handshake with gordie. chris quietly chuckled.

"welcome to the gang, duchamp number two," chris said. i hit his arm playfully and we all laughed for just a second or two.

"i'll see you, guys," gordie said.

"not if i see you first," chris replied. chris turned around to face me and put his hands on my shoulders. we looked each other in the eyes and a tear rolled down my face.

"hey, listen to me. whatever happens in junior high, just know that i'll never forget you. and i'll probably love you forever, olivia duchamp. i'm crazy about you and i don't know if i can help it," he said. we both chuckled at his last sentence, and he pulled me in for a hug. when we pulled away, he wiped the tear off my cheek with his thumb and kept his palm there.

"i love you too, christopher chambers." he reached his other hand down to my waist and pulled me closer to him for a kiss.

i didn't want this moment to end. i wanted to stay with my four best friends forever, but i knew it was impossible. i just refused to accept it until we actually split up for real. the best two days of my life came to an end, and i was extremely upset. but what can you do? things always come to an end without you wanting it to.