↞ two

the treehouse
{olivia's pov}

the two boys that appeared to be teddy's friends stared at me without saying a word. i looked up at them. one was smoking a cigarette and he had a white t-shirt on. the other held his magazine and he had a red t-shirt with blue and white thin stripes going across.

"gee, you two look like you just saw someone get stabbed or something. have they never seen a girl before?" i asked teddy. he gulped as the two boys glanced over at him.

"will you guys stop staring at me like little shits. she's my cousin. she just moved in with me. there, happy now?" he explained vaguely. all three boys looked back at me.

"here, let me introduce myself," i said standing up from the chair i was sitting on. "hi. i'm olivia, but you can call me liv if you'd like. do you mind if we shake hands or are you still stuck on the first grade saying 'she has cooties'," i said coolly.

"i'm chris," one of them said, looking me up and down, but only once. he looked very mature for his age, kind of attractive. he had pretty light blue eyes and dirty blonde-ish hair. chris held out his hand for me to shake, and i did.

"i'm gordie," the brown haired boy that i encountered earlier said shyly. i took his hand and shook it.

"there. see how easy that was?" i asked, sitting back down in the chair i was once sitting on and crossing my arms. chris stared at me and looked back at teddy, smirking.

"i like her already," he said and chuckled lightly.

"can we just get on with the game, god dammit?" teddy asked.

after a while of watching them play, i had no clue what the point of the game was. it was just entertaining to watch them bitch at each other. they argued more than they played which, quite frankly, was hilarious.

"hey, how do you know a frenchman's been in your backyard?" chris asked, taking his cancer stick out of his mouth.

"i'm french, ok?" teddy responded. i chuckled. chris looked at me smiling, and turned back to teddy.

"she doesn't think so," he said while pointing at me. "your garbage cans are empty and your dog's pregnant," chris added, earning laughs from me and gordie.

"didn't i just say i was french?" teddy asked. chris knocked on the small wooden table they were playing the confusing card game on.

"i knock," he said.

"shit," teddy mumbled.

"twenty-nine," chris said smirking. teddy sighed in annoyance.

"twenty-two."

"piss up a rope!" gordie yelled as he threw his cards on the table aggressively. the other two boys started cracking up and i cocked one eyebrow.

"gordie's out! old gordie just bit the bag and stepped out the door," teddy said, still laughing. i let out a small laugh, but only because teddy was the weirdest guy i've ever come across. and even though he didn't really have a huge chance in life and his dad wasn't the best, he was still happy. or so i thought. he was so different when he wasn't around his friends.

"c'mon man, deal."

"i knock," teddy said.

"you four eyed pile of shit," chris responded.

"a pile of shit has a thousand eyes," teddy said, making me, chris, and gordie laugh at him again. he looked around at all of us.

"you're so stupid, ya know that, teddy," i said. you thirsty? gordie mouthed to me, trying hard not to laugh anymore. i nodded and he tossed me a coke can, giving me a smile. i returned a slight smile as i opened the can and started taking a sip.

"what? what's so funny? c'mon, i got thirty. what've you got?"

"sixteen," chris said, still laughing.

"oh, go ahead. keep laughing."

from what i've observed so far, chris seemed to be the leader of the whole gang. if that's what you want to call it. all of a sudden, there was a knock on the hatch below us.

"that's not the secret knock!" gordie called.

"i forget the secret knock. let me in!" i heard a boy's voice respond, sounding younger than the rest of them. i then wondered how many of these boys were there. i wasn't complaining that much though. if they had a girl in their group, she would probably make fun of the clothes i wore or the way i acted.

"vern," the three boys sighed in unison as chris lifted the small wooden table. the boys let him inside and he climbed up. the only good thing about all of them was that they looked around the same age range as me.

"oh man, you guys aren't gonna believe this. this is so boss," the boy said as he stood up and looked at me. his eyes widened and he turned around to look at the guys. "who's she?" he asked in between heavy breaths.

"i'm olivia. teddy's cousin," i said politely before one of the boys could answer. he turned back and sat next to me, staring at the guys again. he had the darkest hair out of all of us, and was a bit heavier.

"don't worry, vern. she's cool," chris said looking at me. i smiled and nodded.

"very." he shrugged, starting to continue what he was about to say. it seemed like he had just run a marathon.

"wait until you hear this, wait until you hear this," he said in between breaths again as i tried not to laugh. "you won't believe it. it's unbelievable, lemme catch my breath. i ran all the way from my house." the last sentence reminded me of one of my favorite songs.

"i ran all the way home," i started to sing. the boys joined me. "just to say i'm sorry!"

"c'mon guys. listen to me! this is so boss, c'mon." the four of us continued to sing the song. "ok! forget it, i don't have to tell you nothin'."

"woah, hold on you guys. hold on," chris said as he put his hand up, signaling for us all to stop singing. "what is it, man?"

"great! you won't believe this, sincerely," he said. he was cut off by all of us singing again. i felt bad, but it was kinda funny. they all were dorks just like teddy.

"screw you guys!" vern yelled. we all stopped singing to see what he had to say, for real this time. chris gave me a high-five as we laughed.

"alright, what is it," chris said as he stopped laughing and put his cigarette back in his mouth.

"can you guys camp out tonight?" i fake coughed, causing all four guys to stare at me. i raised my eyebrows at vern. "oh! right, you too." i smiled.

"go on," i said, leaning back in my chair and twirling a strand of my long hair around my pointer finger.

"i mean, can you tell your folks we're gonna tent out in my back field?" vern asked.

"yeah, i think so. except my dad is kinda on a mean streak. he's been drinking a lot lately," chris responded. as he finished his sentence, i began to feel bad for him. his dad is a drunk, or at least that's what it sounded like.

"you've got to, man! sincerely, you won't believe this. can you gordie?"

"yeah, probably."

"so what are you pissin' and moanin' about verno?" teddy asked curiously. i took a sip of my coke, not interested in the conversation anymore.

"i knock," chris said.

"what!?" teddy's voiced cracked. "you liar! you ain't got no pat-hand!"

"make your draw, shitheap." chris glanced at me and started laughing once again. the next few words that were spoken changed my whole entire mood in just a split second.

"do you guys wanna go see a dead body?" vern asked. as i heard the words dead body, i spit out the coke i had sipped from the can onto teddy's navy green t-shirt.