↞ ten

forest
{olivia's pov}

it wasn't until shortly after the train incident that the sun started setting. we found where we were gonna stay overnight in the forest. gordie, vern, and i set up all of our sleeping bags while chris and teddy lit a fire for us to stay warm and cook our food. we sat in a circle, and i took my seat between chris and teddy. we began cooking the meat we purchased at quidaciolu's on sticks we found over the campfire. teddy grinned.

"man, that was the all-time train dodge. too cool," he began. "vern, you was so scared. you looked like that fat guy, abbott costello, when he saw the mummy." he laughed.

"i wasn't that scared," vern replied.

"vern," we all sighed, not believing him one bit.

"your ass was crying the whole time," i said.

"no, really, i wasn't scared. sincerely," he said.

"ok. then you won't mind if we check your jockeys for hershey squirts, will ya?" gordie asked. i chuckled.

"go screw," vern said coolly.

"vern, you better turn yours over," chris said, referring to the meat on vern's stick.

"chris is right, vern. you might wanna turn it so it doesn't fall off," i said, looking at the meat.

"this is the way i like to do it." chris and i shrugged.

"fine," chris said. as if it were on cue, the meat dropped into the fire and we all started laughing hysterically.

"oh, man! you got any more, gordie?" he asked.

"sorry, vern," gordie replied in between laughs.

"it's not funny. what am i supposed to eat?" he asked, frustrated.

"why don't you cook your dick?" teddy suggested.

"it'd be a small meal," chris added. we all started to laugh even harder.

"i brought some marshmallows. you could eat those for dinner," i said, trying hard not to laugh anymore.

"hang on. so you're tellin' me that you had those the whole time, and you didn't say anything?" teddy asked. i stayed quiet, looking at the boys. they all stared at me, except for vern who was still trying to retrieve the meat he dropped in the flames. i shrugged.

"uh, maybe?" i didn't wanna lie, because they would know. especially teddy.

"well, what are you waiting for? go get them!" chris said smiling at me.

"aha! screw you guys. i got it," vern exclaimed.

later on, there was no sight of the sun anywhere. the only light and heat that was provided to us was the fire. the boys were smoking and i declined when chris offered me one. it just wasn't my thing.

"nothing like a smoke after a meal," vern said.

"yeah. i cherish these moments," teddy responded slowly. chris, gordie, and i let out a laugh.

"what? what did i say?" he asked curiously. nobody responded to his question and we stopped laughing.

"hey, gordo. why don't you tell us a story?" chris suggested. i smiled and nodded.

"yeah. i'd love to hear a story from the famous, gordie lachance," i said.

"i don't know," gordie frowned.

"oh, c'mon," chris said a little disappointed.

"yeah, come on, gordo," vern pleaded. "not one of your horror stories, though, ok? i don't wanna hear no horror stories. i'm not up for that, man."