↞ thirteen

train tracks
{olivia's pov}

we all stopped in the middle of the tracks to look at the trees beyond the field in front of us.

"gentlemen-" vern started but i fake coughed. "right. gentlemen, and lady, the royal."

"god. tracks go way out of the way," teddy sighed.

"if we cut across this field right here we'll be there in an hour," chris said.

"i think we should stick to the tracks," vern said. i sighed.

"vern, it's called an adventure for a reason," i remarked.

"i say we go across the field," teddy stated.

"gordie?" chris asked.

"yeah," gordie responded.

"let's go," chris demanded. gordie, chris, and i started sprinting and we heard teddy yell from behind us.

"take no prisoners!" he started making gun noises and i laughed. i know i've said this before but, teddy duchamp was the weirdest guy i've ever known.

"hey, you guys, it's a lot safer if we, uh-" vern started.

"come on, men!" teddy yelled, continuing to act like he was storming the beach at normandy.

"you don't know what's in those woods!" i heard vern's voice echo from behind. teddy continued to yell which kept making me laugh, slowing me down. chris grasped my arm lightly and pulled me along with him so i could keep up with him and gordie. "hey, you guys, wait up for me," vern called after us.

we were walking through the forest in a huge pile of mud, our shoes getting stuck and all dirty.

"i hate this shortcut," vern stated. teddy mimicked him rudely. vern acted as if he was going to smack teddy in the face, and teddy flinched.

"ha ha! you flinched! two for flinching!" vern exclaimed. teddy punched vern in the arm twice. "but.. you flinched."

"i know. two for flinching," teddy said and began walking again.

"you guys are slow. hurry it up!" i called after them. eventually, the two did catch up when chris, gordie, and i stopped in front of a huge pond of muddy, dirty water. i cringed a little.

"how are we supposed to get across this?" vern asked.

"we use you as a raft," teddy retorted.

"very funny," vern said sarcastically. chris gently moved me aside as he broke a twig off of a branch to examine how deep it really was.

"hey, you know, it's not that deep. we can walk across," he said, throwing the twig aside.

"we aren't actually gonna walk across this, are we?" i asked, afraid of getting my clothes all wet. without answering my question, the four boys all walked in at the same time, and fell in. i laughed as they all came back up to the surface.

"yeah, keep laughing, liv," teddy said as i continued to laugh.

"that was too funny," i exclaimed, finally stopping myself from laughing any longer.

"i told you we should've stuck to the tracks," vern said.

"is it me, or are you the world's biggest pussy?" teddy asked.

"i suppose this is fun for you," vern stated.

"no, but this is." and before i knew it, teddy was dunking vern in the water and laughing psychotically.

"come on, teddy. act your age!" chris yelled.

"this is my age. i'm in the prime of my youth, and i'll only be young once!" teddy exclaimed.